Pages

August 25, 2010

Riding Anniversary

End of August marks the first year of my revived hobby, or call it passion, of motorcycle riding. A year ago I was impatiently waiting for my mail-ordered gear to arrive, the bike already sitting in her new home… and then I was too nervous to actually get out on the road on the twenty years old but new to me Honda named Lady Hawk.

Eventually I overcame my anxiety, and began riding in the early mornings and late evenings with low traffic, often shadowed by my fellow traveler in the car, protecting me from Calgary cagers.

I lost my training wheels circling around in a community that was yet to be built; only the infrastructure with a nice and shiny blacktop was already set up, and finally I found myself ready for the open road.

Much too soon a new job and other obligations plus really crappy weather reduced my chances to discover the vicinity of Calgary on two wheels to zero. My Lady Hawk was put into hibernation, but the desire to get the right bike for touring plus reading blogs with two-wheeled content kept me going through the long dark winter hours.

After six months I was so fed up with the ‘white shit’ and the cold, that I decided that it was time to find a better and warmer place to live and ride, hence the move to the We(s)t Coast back in March, and moving on to another job.

I got my new bike, Nella the yellow beemer, in May and together we rode into the sunset.

The End.


No, the encounter with my perfect two-wheeler did not mark the end but rather the beginning of a wonderful friendship between (wo)man and machine, and so we keep on sharing many sunsets. I try to take her out every other evening as work and life allow, and go on longer round trips in the lower Mainland (300 to 400 km distance) on the weekends, rain or shine.

Thanks to a fellow rider, you might know him as bobskoot, I did not have to explore the area aimlessly. And it got better: in July we had the opportunity to travel south of the border, and went on a five days trip through Washington and Oregon.

After this my appetite for the grand tours has become insatiable. Nowadays my little escape routines are merely satisfying my needs for distances, but as such are valuable as preparation for the next epic journey. Maybe next year… vacation days and moneys are long spent, and fall and winter are closing in soon.

At least there will be many more days for riding through fall foliage, and maybe the occasional trip on a sunny winter day.

See you on the road, my fellow readers and riders. And let’s all keep the shiny side up!

8 comments:

  1. my dear SonjaM:

    Tentatively, the LOOP this coming Saturday. leaving early and back by dinner. This will be the SHORT loop. Duffey Lake road, Lillooet, Cache Creek, Ashcroft, then decision time whether Merritt and Hwy 12 to Spences Bridge or down the Coquihalla to Hope. Majority rules. I'm guessing 400 miles give or take 100 miles.

    I also had an absence from Riding from the early 80's when I restarted I purchased a Suzuki GS400s as my training wheels, so we are sort of similar in our approach to re-entering the riding community.

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your anniversary! I'm so glad you decided to return to riding. It's been fun to meet you this summer, and to follow your journeys on your blog. btw...beautiful pics in your last post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! A nice story about your re-introduction to your new passion. I consider myself fortunate to not have to deal much with traffic during my first season on the road. You are also blessed with many beautiful areas in which to ride complete with nice, twisty roads.

    A wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Sonja and may you never be without two wheels again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had I gone, as planned, to the BMW rally in Oregon, I bet our paths would have connected. Would have enjoyed meeting up with you, your bike and the famous bobskoot as he and I had planned. But, as they say, "...in due time."

    That bike looks made for you!

    Safe riding--and "Thanks again."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sonja:

    For someone who claims to have had a cautious and genteel re-entry to riding, you made the jump from Lady Hawk to a GS like an Olympic pole vaulter. After reading a number of your blog posts, I thought there is a BMW rider who knows "Vos is los!"

    Would you mind if I added your blog to my "Destinations" list on Twisted Roads. Beemer Girl and Sojourner (Sharon) are there, and have suffered no ill efects. I will also try to comment more on your observations and writing in a way that will not embarrass you.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack ®iepe
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bob: My dear Bob, thanks to you I got a lot of my road confidence back.
    @bluekat: Thanks, Kari. The pleasure was all mine, and I hope we will meet again one day.
    @Richard: I can imagine that traffic is quite a bit less up in Fairbanks, but as far as I remember a lot of roads are gravel... not fun for a beginner.
    @Geoff: Let's hope so, by goodness! Same for you.
    @Sojourner: In due time, Sharon. In due time.
    @Nikos: Thanks!
    @Mr ®iepe: I gladly accept your offer. Thank you also for the promise of future comments plus keeping the content on a PG-13 level ;-)

    ReplyDelete