Pages

April 09, 2011

There comes a time

It was during my travels when hubby started roaming, and began shopping for two-wheelers in earnest on his own. I had stopped talking him into bikes long ago. I made this mistake once when buying the Silverwing for him, but I have learned my lesson. He needed to go at his own pace to find his own way to two wheels. Maybe he got inspired by the cherry blossom, the blue skies and the warm temperatures.

Long story short, he dragged me (o.k. it doesn't need much convincing to get me into any motorcycle shop) to the scooter dealer in Surrey today, where he had found some precious objects.
Obviously springtime brings out the best deals, and we were so close to adopt one LX150 or 150S, and take it home. This was when hubby had an epiphany and asked me if would join him and ride a Vespa, too to help him start his two-wheeled career. What do you think? One step back for me, one step forward for hubby?
How do we look?

Comes a time
when you're driftin'
Comes a time
when you settle down
Comes a light
feelin's liftin'
Lift that baby
right up off the ground.

You and I we were captured
We took our souls
and we flew away
We were right
we were giving
That's how we kept
what we gave away.

Excerpts taken from 'Comes a time' by Neil Young, 1978

to be continued...

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good spare bike to me. That's always a good thing.

    It doesn't come in yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a Beemer to a scooter? You have to be kidding! If he wants a scooter (and we all feel that way from time to time), then let him by all means - just make sure it's the pink one. Seriously, if it gets you riding together and you think it may encourage him to greater things, then go for it. But don't sell the BMW. You would regret that, big time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If one Vespa is good, then Two Vespa's must be GREAT! Sounds like a great idea for both of you to have matching scooters. I suspect there would be a divide when riding if you where on the bike and your husband on the scooter, each of you working at keeping the pace of the other. Sounds like you are soon to be a three bike household, Congratulations. GAW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja, it's not a step back for you at all!

    I wish I could get Martha on a scooter, then the process could begin to have her possibly discover the joy of two-wheeled riding.

    Later on, along with more formal training, to be able to ride motorcycles and sidecar rigs safely. Not only because it's fun but if we're out on the sidecar together, and I get hurt somehow, she could get us home.

    Think of that scooter as a gateway drug. :)

    Dom

    ReplyDelete
  5. @RichardM: Exactly. Yellow is not the colour of the year at Vespa I am afraid.
    @Richard: I am not giving up on the Beemer, I promise, but it sure will be less mileage if I decide to meander along on a scooter with my hubby.
    @682202: A three bike household... doesn't that sound promising? Indeed hubby would feel more comfortable if we were riding similar powered two-wheelers.
    @Charlie6: Dom, I guess we should get Martha and Roland together. Maybe they could work together on developing the taste for two wheels. Who knows, maybe I have a chance to discuss the joys when we meet one fine day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!! I hope they followed you home. I often think about one for the fun jaunts around town.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonja, I had to smile as I read your story - After MUCH talking, I bought my wife a Silverwing for a Valentines present several years ago. She gave it an honest effort, riding it on a 5 state family vacation, etc. But upon arriving home after another ride she said, "That's it, I'm done, I just want to be a passenger." And that was that.

    Good luck I'm sure it'll work better for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is a great Idea, Sounds like fun, and you have to start soome where, I have always wanted a scooter, but work is to far away and I dont think it would ever get used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @BeemerGirl: Something might have followed us home...
    @Ken: At least your better half is riding with you. My 6' something hubby riding pillion would be the last I could think of.
    @Raftnn: if I were to get a scooter I would sell my car soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I think scooters would be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sonja - wonderful to get hubby on two wheels. Actually, I'm picking that your ummm... anticipated relaxed pace isn't going to last all that long. The bug will bite and before you know it, Roland will have a ZX-14 and it'll be you who is playing catch-up haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @bluekat: Kari, yes I can picture us meandering on Vespas along the Fraser River, it will be a bit of a different pace but still enjoyable, since it is on motorized two wheels ;-)
    @Geoff: The day that hubby succumbs to riding a 1400cc weapon will be the day I swap my Beemer against a Harley LowGlideFatTailBobster, or whatever has the mightiest cc's. But more realistically I can see him ride a Honda DN-01 in the not so far away future.

    ReplyDelete