Pages

May 31, 2011

Snippets of a road-trip

Things a good husband does for a wedding anniversary... knowing that the wife hates flowers, jewelery or a gift coupon for a spa: Road-trip!

Friday...
A stop at a motorcycle dealer in Lynnwood (just looking...)
Comfy!
A room with a view in Seattle at the Mediterranean Inn
 A progressive rock concert at the EMP
 Neil Morse and Band

Saturday:
Mount Rainier Nationalpark and Columbia River Gorge
 A coffee stop in Elbe
 and a '77 Honda Goldwing in front of a German chapel.
 The park is open...
 ... but you don't get very far this time of the year.
 That's some snow, eh?
 Gotta love those roads along the Columbia River gorge.
 176ft high Horsetail Falls
 Windy roads
 and then some.
 Multnomah Falls with a total drop of 620ft
 Gorgeous Gorges (shamelessly stolen from Gary France)
The Eastern view
At Crown Point
 Looking West
If Oregon would have me, I would gladly move down there.
What a beautiful place!

Sunday:
Along the river, up the canyon, and some German food
 The area so reminds me of the Rhine, not sure why...
 Maybe it's the vineyards and orchards.
A last view back before heading North
 Yakima Canyon
 Heidi - Land?
Authentic German Bratwurst with Sauerkraut at Rudloof's in Leavenworth.
Jawohl, das ist gut!

We also used this 1,400km road-trip to do some scouting for future rides with our Vespa's. Of course we would need to travel at much slower speed, but we would love to travel some of those roads on two wheels some time. One can dream...

10 comments:

  1. Just awesome Sonja - a guy in a million! you'll be keeping him for another year or two then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff: Every day feels like I won the lottery again with that guy. He is definitely a keeper for hopefully many more years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos again! And kudos to Roland! If I weren't the best husband ever - he would take the price ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great road trip and a wonderful way to spend an anniversary. I especially love the colors in the sunset photo. Is that also from the Columbia River gorge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Guido: Well, you know him... he's the real deal.
    @RichardM: Yes, the sunset pics are all from the Columbia River gorge taken at Crown Point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SonjaM:

    your photos bring back memories when I rode my Maxi-Scoot to Oregon. Too bad NF25 was closed, that was one of the best twisties in WA state. 80 miles (~125 kms) and enters Mt St Helens from the East. I had a hamburger in Elbe.

    I think your group ride is going to go through that Mt Rainier arch. Any weekend away, exploring and taking photos is good.

    Happy Anniversary.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ps: I notice that you have taken over the BIKE RACK

    ReplyDelete
  7. @bobskoot: Yes, for now, the bike rack area is MINE - as long as nobody complains...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!
    What a nice gift!! You covered a lot of ground and great scenery. Looks like a perfect weekend. Ron and I just did the gorge a few weeks ago. Always a pretty drive. We've ridden it on bicycles, but have yet to take the motos through there.

    Yakima Canyon. Is that the one you and Bobskoot rode last year? I so want to ride that road. I love the desert scenery such as Yakima Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! Such a lovely getaway.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the anniversary, beautiful pictures, what a nice getaway :-)

    ReplyDelete