The current April weather drives me crazy. The weather forecast cannot even predict the weather a couple of hours ahead. I was up early to deliver my fellow traveler to the airport. First there were overcast skies, then drizzle. Back home it rained, and I simply went back to bed until 9AM. My friend Yvonne and I had plans to go up Sea-to-Sky Highway, turnaround point being Squamish, but we were reluctant. However, I couldn't wait any longer, and so I did my usual Buntzen Lake loop to test the grounds.
The roads were drying up. Good! So I called Yvonne and met her at her place. After fueling up we were headed to North Vancouver and while crossing the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge it started pouring, in the biblical sense. A wall of water.
The roads were immediately flooded, and turned into rivers, and we were no longer comfortable riding, so we found shelter at a gas station. The storm drains couldn't cope with the massive amount of water.
While waiting for the rain to ease up we pondered about what to do next. Going North was no longer an option, so we turned around, crossed the bridge again... and there was the sun. Ok, then let's go South! And so we ended up in White Rock, where we found out that even motorcycle parking spots are not free of charge anymore. We bit the bullet and payed for the spot, at least it seemed to be tolerated for several bikes to share.
One reason for riding is finding a proper place for food intake. Yvonne and I decided to enjoy Greek cuisine on the outdoor patio of the Cosmos: Tzaziki, Pita bread, salad, souvlaki shrimp skewer, and calamari. Not cheap but well worth it. Yummy!
To work off the calories we strolled down the sea-walk to the pier. The good weather stayed with us. We haven't seen one drop of rain on our way back home, and it turned out to be a good day for riding.
Distance: 140km (89 mi)
Weather: Rain & sunshine, 16C (61F)
Weather prediction is never an exact art, well at least that is what they tell us her in NZ. Still you got our and that is the main thing, food look bloody yummy by the way.
ReplyDeleteI know the weather issues! We've had too much rain and not enough riding. Hoping things turn around soon. Glad you found shelter in the storm.
ReplyDeleteWe've a saying here in Colorado: "Don't like the weather? Wait a few hours...."
ReplyDeleteSounds like your weather guessers have the same issues ours do.
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
@Raftnn: Roger, it used to be that when they predicted rain, it was raining. Even that doesn't work anymore ;-) Good food is part of the bigger plan: ride to eat!
ReplyDelete@helmetorheels: Shelter was necessary, at that moment we would have needed boats to get out of there.
@Charlie6: Waiting is always an option, or like we did: change direction.
I could see this weekend was going to be 'iffy' so I took Friday off, in order to take advantage of the sun and ride the 'Loop'. You gotta be flexible, living in Vancouver!
ReplyDeleteTypical day in Vancouver? (At least lately) I like the shot of the street drain, it really demonstrates the amount of water. But the Greek food is a close second.
ReplyDeleteGlad you were able to get out and about on the bike.
Most of us back in the East are busy trying to trade in our motorcycles for arks, so don't expect too much sympathy. ;)
ReplyDeleteUg, the rain. The rest of the week's forecast is 40% chance of rain in central Virginia. Ride to work? It's a craps shoot every time. I feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteBring your rubber suit and grit your teeth.
Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
@Zedman: Hi Mike, flexibility in my employer's eyes is me working Sundays and Holidays... spontaneous take off doesn't seem a concept that they are very familiar with. I will have to work on that.
ReplyDelete@RichardM: Every day on two wheels is a good day per say.
Canajun: I hear ya, arks are the new trend. Good that Canada has enough raw materials to build them all.
@Brady: A scuba dry suit is probably the best to wear these days.
That shot of the drain definitely says it all. Incredible. But glad you dried out and had some fun. The Greek food looks yummy!!!
ReplyDelete-Lori
@BeemerGirl: You know what they are saying: ride to eat! Good food is an essential part of the exercise ;-)
ReplyDeleteLove the first photo, everything covered in moss.
ReplyDeleteSouvlaki shrimp skewer, and calamari, hummmm, I could go for some of that right now ;-)