Pages

August 14, 2013

A Ride on the Wild Side

That actually would be the teutonic version of 'wild'. Nature has been pretty much tamed to the max in Germany. There is the occasional sight of deer but chances are that they are not completely free range. Eventually they will be stopped by fences, their territory is limited.
But here is one specimen of the two-wheeled kind that is still roaming free. The non-volant Italian wasp.

TomTom got programmed to find the twistiest roads possible from home to Ottenhöfen (just to mark a northerly point of return), and back. Unfortunately the GPS didn't make any difference between pavement and gravel, so the route had some nasty surprises in store for the rideress.
It had rained the night before and the tracks were muddy and washed out. Not real fun with a scooter but manageable at low speed.
The ascent was well worth it though, the vistas were stunning. Looking westwards: On the far end beyond the flood plains of the Rhine one could even spot the Vosges.
If I hadn't been on my own I would have loved to stop for a bite to eat in this picturesque restaurant. This time I stuck to my power bar, it will be something to put on the list for next time around.
On my way south I crossed several vineyards and orchards. The Black Forest and surrounding area is a land of plenty.
Another rest stop in the shadows. Listening to the whispering of the trees and the murmuring of a little creek made me sleepy, so I better got going again.
I found this fountain funny. A neckid male (discreetly covered up in midsection) spitting water from his mouth.
Life is good!

***

Durch's wilde Land.
Richtig wild geht es ja in Deutschland nirgendwo mehr zu. So war ich umso mehr überrascht, am hellichten Tage an Dammwild vorbei zu fahren. Mein TomTom Navi hat mich heute über Straßen geführt, die dieses Prädikat nicht mehr verdienten. Es waren bessere Schotterpisten, aber mein Roller hat auch diese furchtlos gemeistert. Der Weg hat sich jedenfalls gelohnt. Der Ausblick über das Rheintal war grandios. Der Rückweg ging durch das Weingebiet rund um Durbach, welches ich zukünftig regelmäßig besuchen werde. Nicht des Weines, sondern der fantastischen Landschaft wegen. Am Schluss der Tour kam ich noch beim Nackten Mann vorbei, war der niedlich.

10 comments:

  1. Look at all those gorgeous geraniums in window boxes! Magnificent views. The air must be...pure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I knew you would like that.

      Delete
  2. I'm really liking all of the photos you've been posting. It looks like a beautiful area with wonderful, empty roads. And maybe it's time to get DS tires for the Vespa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, I have indeed considered to get another set of shoes for the Scooter if there is more of it. I am surprised myself that the roads are so empty but the everyday tourist stays on the Schwarzwaldhochstraße which is the main sightseeing road recommended by countless travel guides.

      Delete
  3. What an adventure! If I had found those gravel roads I would have turned around and missed all the best bits I bet.

    Alonzo really does look at home in the country doesn't he :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I have to admit that I came close to turning around. I had quite some pucker moments but the scoot did surprisingly good, thanks also to its low weight.

      Delete
  4. Sonja, one of the few places I have driven through is the Black Forest ... but so long ago I can hardly remember (exept that I brought a clock home with me), thanks for stirring up memories. Hope you get back to the restaurant and hope it is worth the second trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I am glad I could trigger some memories. I hope you enjoyed it back than. I wonder what might have changed since you visited.

      Delete
  5. What a perfect way to spend the day. I bet Roland is a little jealous he is at work.

    Love that last photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love pic no. 11 ;-)
    And Alonzo's "viewing" to the water-man ;-)!

    ReplyDelete