Our buddy F. was kind enough to loan Roland his white Vespa GTS300 again, and the three of us rode up to inspect the dealership. I talked to Philippe, one of their consultants, and after checking my Sportster's VIN he came up with a list of things that will need to be changed to get the German TÜV (vehicle inspection) approval.
The "German Upgrade" will definitely punch a big hole in my wallet: Lights and indicators are suddenly no good, and the exhaust system will definitely fail the emission test. All extra mounted parts must be OEM with certificate (which I can't provide...), hence, they will likely have to be removed. So, as long as I don't win the lottery or find a money tree to harvest the project of getting the Sporty on the road will have to be postponed...
On my ride home I was weeping on the inside, and the sky opened its flood gates right on cue.
The view was gone.
The aftermath of a ride in the rain.
I don't know how, but I am going to make it work. The Sportster will be back on the road one day.
***
Jeder kommt zu Rick's.
Vespa-Händler und Roller-Reparaturwerkstätten gibt es bei uns an jeder Gießkanne. Das Netz der Harley Davidson Händler ist leider nicht so eng gestrickt und so musste ich bis ins 70km entfernte Baden-Baden, um mich mal über die Zulassungsvorschriften meiner Sportster zu informieren. Frank, unser guter Geist aus Offenburg lieh Roland wieder seine weiße Vespa und so rollerten wir zu dritt ins Cruiser-Paradies. Keiner machte uns an, als wir von unseren Rollern stiegen und die Beratung bei Rick's war exquisit. Leider müssen Auspuffanlage und Lampen gewechselt werden, da diese nicht EU konform sind, aber mit einer neuen Tröte hatte ich sowieso geliebäugelt. Also wird die Nachrüstung und Zulassung der Harley möglich, aber nicht ganz billig sein. Im Portemonnaie schmerzt es am meisten. Wahrscheinlich wird meine Sporty es wohl dieses Jahr nicht mehr auf die Straße schaffen, aber man wird sehen...


Alternatively take it to TuV and get the bike inspected? There were countless non standard Harleys at Rudesheim last year.
ReplyDeleteThe list they provided IS from the TUV, they won't accept and approve the bike as is, as it has to comply with the German standards. Otherwise it is illegal. I can do some of it myself such as changing the lamps but not the exhaust, and that will be the most expensive thing.
DeleteStrange how these custom bikes get a TuV!? That's alot of ABEs...
DeleteMay just be worth chatting directly to a friendly looking TuV inspector for advice. I'm always wary about info from manufacturers as they would love to sell you the bits. (Headlamps? - you drive on the right in Canada too? or is there a psecial moose spotting beam pattern?)
Yes, they usually have or they are illegal, and that would not be my cup of tea. I had talked to TUV before I visited the dealership, and they had given me that same list. It is up to me to install it myself and present it to the TUV or have a dealer take care of it. Some of it I can take care of but I am helpless with the exhaust system and better have a dealer take care of it.
DeleteThe lamps don't have a certain stamp, and have to comply with whatever European Authorities invented, which seems to be different from Canadian standards. It sucks but it is reality.
I know, resistance is futile!
DeleteHow depressing....
ReplyDeleteBut you did find more great roads! How many changes for Roland's ride?
I'll get over it. Roland's Vespa is an European model, with EU exhaust and lamps, it will be easy, and we already have the paperwork obtained from Vespa, Italy.
DeleteHow sad ...
ReplyDeleteObviously the laws there are very strict but sheesh no add ons? Shame you dont have a handy mechanic who will help you with the exhaust nearby.
Good luck with it all Sonja, I'm sure it will work out in the end.
Oh, you can have add ons, Brenda, but every non standard piece has to come with appropriate paperwork, and an official entry has to be made in the operating license of the vehicle. Remember, we Germans are the masters of bureaucracy.
DeleteSonja, I am a rebel. I manage corporate compliance for my company's EU subsidiaries. I find European rules bafflingly bureaucratic, costly, and largely useless. I don't think I could live there AND preserve my sanity. Beautiful place to visit though.
ReplyDeleteDavid, I have a rebellious stroke as well, and yes you can always ride with stuff that isn't approved, however the risk is that if authorities (a.k.a. police) get you, you will lose your bike, and if something happends to you you are not covered by your insurance... they'll get you one way or the other, and there is not always common sense involved. My bike was absolutely road worthy and well looked after in North America, but the friggin' rules are different.
DeleteGood luck with the changes, I think you will somehow manage to find a way.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen, it's a matter of time & money, the latter being the major issue.
DeleteFrustrating to hear that so many, extensive 'fixes' need to happen but understandable. I've dealt with my versions of German Obedience and can't blame you for following through as you must.
ReplyDeleteJust thinking.....our nearest HD dealer is not less than 70km from here and the factory is only 475km away. There may be more HD dealers/sq km in Germany than here in the Midwest!
The area I live in now is rather scarcely populated, I guess that's why there's no dealer close by.
DeleteBack when I lived in the Rhineland (about 12 million people piled on top of each other), there were several dealers in spitting distance.
Wow Sonja. So weird that the lights and indicators aren't even in compliance. I sure hope Roland finds that money tree while he is doing his relaxing yard work.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you had of sold it in BC then bought another in Germany, would it be been less of a hassle? Just wouldn't be the same though would it? I am sure you two will be back on the road together soon. But at least you have Alonso trying to cheer you up.
Brandy, you wouldn't believe how expensive (!!!) the American Iron is over here. Even with the costly upgrades my Harley will still be cheaper than buying a new one in Germany.
DeleteActually that's why many HD buyers decide to import it directly from the States, modify it and get it TUV approved.
By the way, Alonzo is doing a great job keeping me amused ;-)
What a bunch of bureaucratic BS....I even read somewhere there is a move afoot in the EU to ban owners from "working" on their own bikes or making modifications! Sorry that you're going through all that crap for the sportster....I think I would try the exhaust myself but then again, I sometimes believe I am here so that others learn from my mistakes! :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the TUV process!
Thanks, Dom. It seems like a big joke, and you are correct that there have been discussions of limiting the owner's choices of modifying their vehicle on their own, even though they would have to present it to the authorities for approval anyway.
DeleteMethinks, when it comes to motorcycles the European bureaucrats think it must be the root of all evil.
"it (motorcycles) must be the root of all evil.
ReplyDeleteAren't they? I think I read it on the Internet somewhere...
The authorities in question must have found out...
DeleteWhat is the certificate you mention for the extra mounted parts? I am good friends with my local Harley-Davidson dealership, so if they are H-D parts is there something I can help with?
ReplyDeleteGary, every bolt on part has to have an ABE which is a certificate that approves that it is safe to mount and ride with it. It goes for the crash bars, the highway pegs, the hand protectors and the little wind shield (the two latter are not OEM, so they might have to get removed.). The dealer has promised to help me with the other parts in case I want to leave them on, because they are OEM.
Delete"Everyone comes to Rick's" Including Gary France - I have been there - they seem to make some unusual custom bikes.
ReplyDeleteAnother option for your non-standard pipes is to borrow some, put them on the bike for the registration, then afterwards replace your current pipes and return the loan pipes. Do you know anyone that can loan you some original pipes? If not, send me the make, model and year of your H-D and I will see what I can find. It might only cost you the postage....
I am aware that this option considerable... but if you get caught by police with the non conform exhaust they will execute you, well not that but you get a huge fine and you motorcycle gets put down until you fix the issue.
DeleteI just read the comments. LOL. There are ways around EVERYTHING! German rules are much stricter than in the UK, but we still have silly things we have to follow. The difference is, some of us are crafty and work to get around the rules. How do you think my custom bikes are on the road.....?
ReplyDeleteThe lights difference is relatively easy, as North American lights have red turn signals but in Europe, they have to be a amber. I am sure we can find a way around the pipes.....
Gary, I immediately thought of you and your bikes, and you connections. I will see what the dealership comes up with but I might get back to you seeking your advise on things... Thanks for the offer to help out. Currently there are paperwork issues of a different kind still to be sorted out...
Delete