Pages

August 23, 2013

The Witch Hole Project

With a couple of hours to spare I saddled Alonzo, my orange Vespa GTS300 SuperSport and headed South towards Hexenloch-Mühle (Witch Hole Mill), a popular trip destination in the High Black Forest.
Aside from the usual scenic byways TomTom offered me some very nice sweepers today. I was in motorcycle scooter heaven.
The best part of the trip was the final stretch to the mill leading along a river through a narrow canyon. What a treat!
Although tourist season is still in full force, I didn't encounter a lot of traffic, mostly other motorized or pedal powered two wheelers.
The mill restaurant welcomes bikers, and offers a homestyle menu for meat eaters. There is a rumor that their Schnitzel is to die for. Next time I am going to bring hubby along for him to try it out.
The mill wheels are still spinning. In the olden days they powered a saw, now they provide energy for the restaurant and shop housed in the building.
Alas, I never found out, why this location has been dubbed 'witch hole', though. I suspect it was merely a name chosen by clever Black Forest marketeers to attract bypassing travelers. It certainly worked on me...
On my way back I chose to ride the crests of hills and mountains, and just let it roll. The view was a bit obstructed by hazy conditions, but it was lovely just the same.
Another great little foray through my new homeland.
Alonzo can't get enough of the lonely single track roads.

***
Zur Hexenlochmühle.
So ein Name macht neugierig und so fuhr ich - wie immer auf Nebenstraßen - Richtung Südosten. TomTom, mein Navi machte seinen Job heute besonders gut. Göttliche Kurven und exzellenter Straßenbelag, kein Wunder, dass diese Gegend als Motorradparadies bezeichnet wird. Über dem Fahrgenuss vergesse ich ganz das Fotografieren und finde mich alsbald im Tal des Heubach wieder. Steile, enge Schluchten, ein tosender Wildbach und steile Kurven. Was für eine tolle Strecke! An der Mühle angekommen finde ich zwar nichts über die Herkunft des unheimlichen Namens heraus, aber dafür um so mehr über die Mühle, heute ein populärer Ausflugsort für Zwei- und Vierräder. Mein Rückweg führte über Höhenwege. Leider war es zu diesig für spektakuläre Panoramabilder, aber die Sträßchen waren Genuss pur.

16 comments:

  1. Sonja:

    I just noticed that it's Friday over there. Also I can't believe that a country with so much population you post photos with empty roads. At least you don't have angry tail gaters following you

    enjoy wandering while you can

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always lived in the populated areas of Germany, and I am surprised myself how empty it seems. Tail gaters can be an issue on major roads (on four and two wheels) but I let them pass by as soon as it's safe for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed with the beauty of the country side. Is it the photographer or does it really look that nice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid my talent is limited when it comes to photography. The scenery does the trick ;-)

      Delete
  3. Germany really is a beautiful country. It's mainly crowded in the urban areas and the big cities. There aren't any "empty stretches" as in the US or Canada, but there is still a lot of wonderfully rural landscape. Makes me want to do a bike trip there again.

    Beautiful pictures, Sonja! They certainly show the nicer sides of Germany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not lived in a rural area in Germany before (even the Bergische Land seemed crowded) and I am impressed by its beauty. True, the vastness of the landscape that you get in North America is missing, but on the plus side you don't have to worry about gas stations...

      Delete
  4. Loved your trip to Witch Hole ... I am with you. I like travelling through the populated areas where there is no worry about finding gas, food and the always necessary washroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A washroom is always very high on my list of necessities, too ;-)

      Delete
  5. Another perfect day on two-wheels. I am starting to get jealous here Sonja!!

    Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't. Just throw your pretty Oregon pics back at me, and I will be the one who's jealous.

      Delete
  6. Ich freu mich gerade total über die Landkarte mit deiner Route. Mein Vater wohnt nämlich in Waldkirch :)

    Eine tolle Strecke, die du da gefahren bist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Na das ist ja fast um die Ecke. Sag Bescheid, wenn Du einen Besuch planst, dann treffen wir uns auf 'nen Kaffee.

      Delete
  7. I managed to buy a splendid motorcycle touring map of the Schwarzwald yesterday so will be arriving soon (ish)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it the ADAC motorcycle map? We just bought one of those.

      Delete
    2. It's published by www.publicpress.de, and is on plastic paper folding into a 30x10cm format......you did ask! Very nice with info on the back for cafés etc.

      Delete