Pages

February 20, 2014

Rover is getting Surgery


A few weeks ago Rover, my Sportster 883, went to the shop for some minor upgrades. Today I visited in order to deliver my paperwork for a repeat TÜV approval. Why again? you might wonder.

Because in Germany pretty much every single change in the build of the motorcycle will have to be documented in the papers, or else… Imagine getting stopped in a traffic control, and not being able to present a valid operating permit for your vehicle. The PTB (powers that be) will likely consider your bike unsafe for riding, put it out of service immediately to be towed away, and it goes without saying that you'll be getting fined.

Rover meanwhile is in the midst of its cosmetic surgery, and currently stripped to the guts. It was almost heartbreaking to see my bike unprotected and defenseless like this. There is some rewiring to do, and some minor tinkering planned with the front and the rear end. More on this soon… provided that TÜV is going to approve of it.

***

Rover kommt "unter's Messer"
Vor ein paar Wochen habe ich Rover, meine Harley Davidson Sportster 883, für einige Anpassungen in die Werkstatt gebracht. Heute lieferte ich meine Zulassungspapiere ab. Warum, das weiß der deutsche Bürger (die Bürgerin) nur zu genau… damit nämlich die baulichen Veränderungen eingetragen werden können. Ansonsten sieht man nämlich bei der Polizeikontrolle ganz blass aus. Meine Sportster ist inzwischen auf dem Seziertisch gelandet. Was genau verändert wird, verrate ich noch nicht, solange der TÜV dazu nicht seinen Segen gegeben hat.

22 comments:

  1. All I can say is OUCH! Too much government oversight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooooh! i cant wait to see/hear about what rover is going through now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited myself. All parts ordered are in, and it should not be long (if approval isn't going to delay things…)

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to post-surgery and hopefully a short P.T. period. At least it's the right time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure. I wouldn't want to have it in the shop come riding season.

      Delete
  4. Ooooh how exciting. Looking forward to seeing what he's having done.

    Will be be bionic with parts replaced/updated or is he just getting a face-lift?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of a face-ift (the bionic part would be me…)

      Delete
  5. Government control and it's increase is always done in the name of public safety....I empathize with you, I did like seeing Valencia under a tarp outside the shed where the dealer does his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been used to it for a very long time. The more government control the less responsibility people take for their actions. Lots of "it's not my fault" attitude.

      Delete
  6. You scared me for a moment. I was relieved to find out it was "cosmetic" surgery. May it all go well and the powers that be deem them acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mechanical issues, Keith. No worries. Just a few upgrades I had planned a long time ago.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that I can rely on you to explain what an ABE is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he looks naked!! Poor Rover .. the things we go thru to look beautiful eh :)

    Good luck with your paperwork Sonja :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. It's likely a matter of standing in line and pay the fees… I don't expect major resistance from the authorities.

      Delete
  9. Gemein, einen so auf die Folter zu spannen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he. Nur noch ein bißchen Geduld.

      Delete
  10. There is something anti-thetical about deep government scrutiny of the innermost workings of a Harley. It's like fooling around with anti-matter. Are you sensing any disturbances in the matrix? Do neighboring buildings, normally immovable, seem briefly to shimmer or flutter? The sooner Rover is out of the clutches of bureaucracy, the safer we'll all be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS: my capcha for that last post came up, in part, "6666..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the weather pattern has changed already. It is way too warm for the time of the year…

      6666 (a demon with a stutter perhaps?)

      Delete
  12. Can't wait to see the new look!

    ReplyDelete