Pages

July 10, 2014

New Shoes for Alonzo


We had about a week of constant rain and unusually low temperatures. My Vespa had an appointment with the mechanic. It was high time for the next regular service, another 6,000km had gone by in an instant. We almost drowned while getting there.


This time it didn't come cheap because the rear tire was pretty worn out and had only a few hundred clicks of life left. The front tire could have gone another two thousand, however I had swapped both tires at the same time.


This time I opted for the Metzeler Feelfree Wintec which had the most promising reviews with regards to max grip on wet and slippery roads. Bonus, it is considered a winter tire, so I can legally ride my scooter during winter. But the new tires were just the opposite of sticky... I had a very slippery ride back home and were thankful for light traffic and dried up roads.


***

Neue Schuhe für Alonzo
Eine Woche Dauerregen, und kalt war es auch noch. Aber meine Vespa hatte eine Verabredung mit der Werkstatt meines Vertrauens, denn es war wieder mal Zeit für eine Inspektion. Auf der Hinfahrt sind wir fast ertrunken... 
Diesmal wurde es etwas kostspieliger, denn es waren auch die Reifen dran. Der Hinterreifen war so gut wie blank. Auch wenn mit dem Vorderreifen noch ein Paar tausend Kilometer möglich gewesen wären, entschloss ich mich, direkt beide Reifen wechseln zu lassen.
Ich habe mich für die Metzeler Feelfree Wintec entschieden, die viel versprechende Bewertungen bezüglich Bodenhaftung auf nassen Straßen bekommen haben. Außerdem sind sie mit M+S Stempel versehen und somit auch im Winter zugelassen. Bisher habe ich jedoch nicht viel von dem Gripp gemerkt, denn die neuen Reifen waren sehr rutschig. So war ich froh, dass nur wenig Verkehr war und die Straßen zur Abwechslung mal trocken waren.

21 comments:

  1. Sonja - good call to switch up both tires at the same time, though I have a hard time doing that with so much life left in one and not the other. Glad you made it through the rain on the new rubber safely. (Love the old cottage with the purple flowers.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swapping the tires at the same time spares me another trip to the shop, Karen. Laziness wins.

      Delete
  2. I find all new tires slippery until they get scuffed up good. I like the looks of the tread pattern. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I meanwhile have roughened up the tires a bit but its still lacking 100% grip.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking tires. Before reading the text I was thinking that they looked like winter tires. Planning ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, indeed I am. They are sold as all weather tires with 10 to 12,000 km life and are supposedly legal for riding through October to April.

      Delete
  4. Mittlerweile wechsel ich die Reifen bei der Kalix nicht mehr gleichzeitig. Der vordere Reifen hält einige km's länger und das rechnet sich. Ok, sie braucht auch alle Nase lang neue Schlappen.

    Oh, der Robot kennt meinen Geburtstag :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wenn's nicht jedesmal so weit zur Werkstatt wäre, so spare ich mir die extra Tour. Die Rollerreifen sind auch nicht gerade langlebig und halten maximal 12.000 km.

      Delete
  5. Sonja, MC dealers should have tire scuffers, like hardware stores have paint can shakers.

    If you could opt for thinner chicken strips, for a price, it might be a moneymaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I meanwhile got one but I still don't trust the grip. I guess it just takes a little time and patience before I can continue scratching pavement with my side stand.

      Delete
  6. Surprised a "winter" tire would feel hard, even fresh from the shop - they're usually a much softer compound. Hopefully the tires will scuff up and you'll get the stickiness you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Canajun, it is that protection shit they put on the tires that make for the slippery slide. Once scuffed off the tire grip shall be amazing, so I have been told.

      Delete
  7. New tires! Thanks for reminding me LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty nice looking tire. Good tread, you'll enjoy them for many many km.

    Hopefully you'll have more dry roads to scuff them in. New tires in the rain.... not so ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy I am hoping for a dry week coming up. Than the daily commute will do the rest.

      Delete
  9. New shoes...ehm tyres! Isn't that always a reason to go on a shopping spree?

    Regards, Heike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psst, Heike. I got me some new shoes as well ;-)

      Delete
  10. Looks like nice tires, i should look into them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sergei, you might like them for your purpose.

      Delete
  11. AnonymousJuly 14, 2014

    Sonja: We have similar rules now in BC. The RCMP have been having fun pulling bikes over on nice Fall days and inspecting for 'winter tires'. If they don't have the snowflake symbol bike riders are out of luck and here in Canada no bike tires do. Now if the Metzler winter scooter tires have the snowflake on them it would almost be worth it to tweak the noses of the RCMP and their stupid made up rules.

    I actually like cops, but these police rules demanding equipment after Oct 1 and before May1 that is not available or you can not ride no matter how nice the weather is, just burns me up.

    ReplyDelete