It was overcast in the morning, and I checked the weather forecast: zero rain. Again the weather guessers couldn't have been more wrong. A mere fifteen minutes from home it started pouring, but this time I was well prepared and stopped to don my rain gear. Then I left the hills for the Rhine flats.
I knew just the right place for a nice cuppa: the American Bikes Garage where I got my Sportster maintained and customised, not that Rover was in need of a service, except for a good wash. At the shop I was welcomed along the lines of... it's raining, and there is a woman is riding a Harley through this shit weather... it must be Sonja. They know well, that I don't care about the weather, and that I rather ride than clean my bike.
While I chatted along with the lady of the house over a cup of tea (it was a rather slow day for them), Rover was given a quick service (tire profile check, tire pressure, fluid check) free of charge. It's part of their customer service, the boss said. The rain stopped eventually and I was on my way again. But it was a short break in the weather. By the time I got home I was dripping wet (but with a big grin in my face), and my Sporty was as dirty as Pig Pen.
![]() |
| A 70 km round trip is alright on a rainy day. |
***
Warmer Regen
Bevor ich mich am späten Morgen auf den Weg machen wollte, schaute ich mir noch mal die Wettervorhersage an: kein Regen. Aber wieder mal hätten es die Meteorologen nicht schlechter machen können... nur eine Viertelstunde später fing es an, in Strömen zu regnen. Diesmal war ich aber gut vorbereitet und legte ungerührt meine Regensachen an. Ich ließ die Hügel hinter mir und fuhr in die Rheinebene.
Ich hatte Lust auf eine Tasse Tee und schaute bei "meiner" Harley Werkstatt vorbei. Meine Sportster brauchte zwar nichts (außer vielleicht einer Wäsche), aber es macht immer Spaß, dort hallo zu sagen. Ich wurde begrüßt mit: Wenn eine Frau auf einer Harley im Regen auftaucht, dann kann es ja eigentlich nur Sonja sein...
Während ich ein Schwätzchen mit der Dame des Hauses hielt, unterzog der Chef meine Sportster einer schnellen kostenlosen (!) Prüfung: Reifenprofil, und -druck, Ölstand. Das gehört zum Service dieser Werkstatt. Er bemerkte noch, dass meine Harley wieder mal ein Bad gebrauchen könnte, war aber ansonsten zufrieden mit Rovers Zustand.
Der Regen machte eine kleine Pause, und ich mich wieder auf den Weg. Die wasserfreie Pause war jedoch von kurzer Dauer, und als ich wieder zuhause ankam, war ich pitschnass (aber mit Grinsegesicht) und die Sporty dreckig wie Pig Pen von den Peanuts.

Nice to be known as a "rider", isn't it.....
ReplyDeleteBeing acknowledged as a rider always makes me smile. ;-)
Delete"It must be Sonja"
ReplyDeleteWhat a great reputation with the dealer. The Sporty still looks great, it doesn't need daily polishing.
What a great place. Wish we had something like that here, when I walk into my local bike shops I get a hello at least .. would be great if they threw in a coffee and complemetary service for Huck. One of the shops doesn't even give me a nice greeting, they think I must be there looking for something for my son ...
ReplyDeleteSome times I think dirty bikes are happy bikes, or at least their owners are.
ReplyDeleteSo nice the motorcycle shop welcomes you so readily. And with hot tea to warm you too.
Cooler Tripp, cooler neuer Header :-)
ReplyDeleteNice to be "known" in a place of kindred souls.
ReplyDeleteLovely post!
Really enjoy your photos!
ReplyDelete