Pages

May 16, 2017

Chased by Clouds


Hello again, I am out and about on Bella, our Italian-Canadian 2008 Vespa GTS250. Why? Because I missed the technical recertification appointment and hence, I am not legally allowed to ride Alonzo, my orange GTS300. But Bella could use the exercise anyway, the tire pressure was on an all-time low, and she needed a good refill from the gas station.

Hallo erstmal, ich bin derzeit mit Bella, unserer italienisch-kanadischen 2008 Vespa GTS250 unterwegs. Warum? Weil ich den TÜV Termin für Alonzo, meinen orangefarbenen GTS300 Roller verpennt habe. Aber Bella kann die Bewegung gut gebrauchen, der Reifendruck war auf einem historischen Tiefstand, und sie brauchte auch mal wieder den guten Stoff von der Tanke.


The weather is perfect for recreational outdoor activities, 20°C and sunny, blue skies filled with fluffy clouds. There are flocks of two-wheelers underway, the motorised and pedal-powered kind.

Das Wetter ist perfekt für Aktivitäten an der frischen Luft, es hat 20°C und der Himmel ist voller plüschig aussehender Wolken. Überall trifft man auf Gruppen von Zweiradfahrern, motorisiert oder mit Muskelkraft betrieben.


While slowly meandering along forest roads through the middle part of the Black Forest I notice the clouds building up and darkening.

Und während ich so über Feldwege durch den mittleren Schwarzwald gurke, bemerke ich, dass die Wolken immer dichter und dunkler werden.


So I better make a beeline for home before the thunderstorm hits. The route I am taking is very popular with the two-wheeled crowds, and am repeatedly getting passed by knee-draggers in power-ranger attire going way faster than the legal speed limits.

Ich glaube, ich fahr' mal lieber nach Hause, bevor das Unwetter los geht. Die Route ist unter Motorradfahrern sehr beliebt, und ich werde immer wieder von Knieschleifern in Papageien-Anzügen überholt, die weit über der erlaubten Geschwindigkeit unterwegs sind. 


Then everything comes to a stop. Something must have happened ahead. The lane is being blocked by police and a medevac is waiting at the ready. A best-ager scooterist on a 500cc Kymco passed me the story of the incident. Sadly, a rider had lost control over his bike, went over a cliff and fell sixty meters (almost 200 ft) down an escarpment. An alpine rescue team had been called in in order to retrieve the badly injured young man. A sad ending to what should have been an awesome road trip. I sincerely hope that he is going to pull through. Meanwhile the revving of engines and noise of loud pipes continue to sound through the valley, screaming: WE ARE INVINCIBLE! (Until we are not...)

Doch dann kommt plötzlich alles zu einem Halt. Da muss was passiert sein. Die Polizei hat die Straße abgesperrt und ein Rettungshubschrauber steht in Warteposition. Ein älterer Rollerfahrer auf einer 500er Kymco erzählt mir, was passiert ist. Leider hat ein Motorradfahrer an einem typischen Unfallschwerpunkt die Kontrolle über sein Fahrzeug verloren und ist sechzig Meter tief eine Böschung hinunter gestürzt. Ein Bergrettungsteam holt gerade den Schwerverletzten da heraus. Was für ein trauriges Ende eines schönen Ausflugs. Ich hoffe, der junge Mann kommt durch. Währenddessen hört man aus der Ferne weiterhin das Aufheulen von Motoren und das Gebrüll grenzwertiger Auspuffanlagen durch das Tal schallen: WIR SIND UNBESIEGBAR! (Bis wir es nicht mehr sind...)

25 comments:

  1. Wahnsinnig schöne Bilder und dann doch so traurig! Aber wirklich, die lernen es einfach nicht! Trotzdem hoffe ich, dass alles noch gut ausging und einer mehr seine Lektion gelernt hat.
    Sei ganz lieb gegrüßt!
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Ella, danke für die (virtuellen) Blumen. Da kein Fremdverschulden vorlag, muss man wohl von einem Fahrfehler ausgehen. So ist es nun mal, wenn man jung ist und übermütig ist. Manche haben Glück dabei, dieser hatte es wohl nicht.

      Delete
  2. Nice clouds!

    As to the rider who went over a cliff, hope he's OK...though one must wonder if excessive speed was a factor in his loss of control. Perhaps, he'll learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, I haven't found out yet, if the man is ok, he was definitely badly injured, at least that's what the local news stated. And yes, it was obviously speeding and subsequent loss of control over the bike. Very sad.

      Delete
  3. Ohje, das ist nicht schön. Ich hoffe, dem jungen Mann geht es wieder besser und er überlebt das Ganze einigermaßen unbeschadet.

    Dir wünsche ich weiterhin gute Fahrt und viel Spaß beim bikenradelnwandern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das wünsche ich dem Motorradfahrer auch. Gleichfalls eine schöne Zeit beim bikenradelnrollernwandern.

      Delete
  4. Sonja that doesn't sound survivable. It always amazes me the number of people who don't understand the energy that comes with mass in motion. They imagine that brakes always stop cars no matter how fast they drive. A few years back a couple passed me on a motorcycle traveling much too fast and weaving through the traffic. Several kilometres later traffic slowed to a crawl. The girl riding pillion had somehow landed on the roof of a car. That rider should have been jailed for such callous life-threatening behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I remember you telling me about this accident and its outcome, so horrifying. We all make mistakes, especially the young / and-or testosterone driven ones, some are just more lucky than others. This young rider, should he survive, will hopefully have learned the lesson.

      Delete
  5. What a sad ending to an otherwise bright spot of a day.

    Your scooter is also a bright spot among the pictures. Very vivid. You must have stayed away on holiday just long enough for the weather to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a darkening an otherwise lovely experience, Brandy. In fact, the weather is at its best now as I am working overtime.

      Delete
  6. Und welche davon ist jetzt Wolke Nr 7 ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. the color contrast of the green meadows and the blue sky with it's white clouds is stunning.

    cross my fingers for the guy :-(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the air was fresh and crisp... almost like in the Rockies...

      Delete
  8. I like the third photo down, infact they are all pretty good Sonja. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beeindruckende Bilder - ohne Worte. Auch ohne Worte was da so auf den Straßen abgeht. Fast täglich wieder ein Biker in einem Unfall verwickelt. Egal ob selbstverschuldet oder hineingezogen...manchmal könnte man meinen, alle warten nur drauf, das die Saison beginnt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön, Markus. Zynisch betrachtet könnte man es so sehen... als wenn es wieder alle auf uns Zweiradfahrer abgesehen haben.

      Delete
  10. You really should work for the German tourist bureau. Your writing is always so informative and your pictures are stunning! I found the yellow flowers in this post interesting as we have similar ones here.

    I was reading through older posts earlier about your trip to Bavaria and those lovely lakes and waterfalls. I already love Bavaria, but seeing your photos REALLY make me want to go back!

    I had no idea Germans are not big Sound of Music fans. I could take it or leave it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too kind, Kathy. I really came to take a liking to Southern Germany, and I guess it shows, eh?

      Delete
  11. Stunning photos as usual Sonja! You know what? In that type of scenery, I would much sooner ride a scooter and just soak it up! There, I've said it!! I changed my view on scooters after riding one for the first time in Rarotonga a few years ago and they are the perfect transport for just chilling and enjoying scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geoff. But you on a scooter? Riding flower-picking style? I can hardly imagine that happening ;-)

      Delete
  12. It appears that Black Forest weather improved while you were away. Nice! And what a great way to get out and enjoy it--li'l red scoot among green fields and wildflowers...

    "WE ARE INVINCIBLE! (Until we are not...)" Boy, ain't that the truth? I think we're all guilty of such thinking at many points in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, Ry, and it's about time. And yes, we all have (had) these thoughts until experience proved us different.

      Delete