Pages

November 18, 2017

In memory of a lost sole. - Im Gedenken an eine verlorene Sohle.


What was falling as rain in the valley came down and stayed as snow on higher grounds. When I started out my hike up Brandenkopf last Monday the forest was shrouded in mist, and the cold kept creeping into my clothing. Nothing a swift walk could cure, so I moved faster. Given the temperatures I wore a long sleeve shirt and a windbreaker, plus long johns under my summer pants. In my backpack I carried another shirt and a down jacket just in case, well that plus a thermos with tea.

Was im Tal als Regen herunter kam wurde auf den Hügeln zu Schnee. Als ich am vergangenen Montag zum Brandenkopf hinauf wandern war, lag der Wald in Nebel gehüllt, und die feuchtkalte Luft kroch in meine Kleidung. Aber das war kein Problem, solange ich in Bewegung war. Bei den Temperaturen trug ich ein langärmliges Funktionshirt und darüber en Windbreaker, untenherum Funktionsunterwäsche und die Sommerwanderhose. Zusätzlich hatte ich im Rucksack neben einem Thermosbecher Tee noch ein weiteres Shirt und eine Daunenjacke dabei.


Green quickly changed to White while climbing up the hill. It was completely quiet in the forest, so silent that I could hear my Tinnitus.

Das Grün verwandelte sich schon bald in Weiß, während ich so den Hügel hinauf stapfte. Und die Welt um mich herum war so leise, dass ich meinen Tinnitus piepen hörte.


Where do I go from here? I wasn't able to remove the snow, the signs were out of my reach. But I took an educated guess, and marched on. Well, I probably could have taken a tree branch, to brush off the white stuff but there wasn't one lying around, and I didn't want to break one off.

Wo geht es jetzt bloß lang? Die Wegweiser waren zu hoch angebracht, so war es mir nicht möglich, den Schnee wegzuwischen. Also ging ich der Nase nach und marschierte weiter. Na gut, ich hätte vielleicht einen Tannenwedel nehmen können, um das weiße Zeug wegzuwischen, aber es lag keiner herum und ich wollte dem lebenden Objekt keinen Ast entreißen.


The higher, the more of the white stuff. Beautiful, and the fog added to the mysterious scenery.

Je höher ich kam, desto weißer wurde es. Wunderschön, und der Nebel ließ das ganze noch ein bisschen mystisch erscheinen.


Walking in the woods always seem to make me happy and content. Sometimes the simplest things can be very powerful.

Ein Waldlauf macht mich anscheinend immer wieder glücklich und zufrieden. Manchmal sind es die einfachen Dinge, die einen stark machen.


My steps in the fresh snow made soft crunchy noises. From time to time I would see deer or rabbit tracks crossing my trail. But I have seen no other creature.

Meine Fußstapfen machten knirschende Geräusche im Neuschnee. Immer mal wieder kreuzten Dammwild- oder Hasenspuren den Wanderweg, aber gesehen habe ich keine andere Kreatur.


There I found something weird and funny: Somebody had nailed a hiking boot on a sign post, I guess it was meant as a memorial for a lost sole. 

Finally I reached the top, the watchtower had no view for me, and the hiker's refuge seemed closed for season. Good, for me that I had thought ahead and brought my own provisions along.

Ein etwas sonderbarer, aber witziger Fund am Wegesrand: An einem Wanderwegweiser hat jemand offensichtlich seinem Wanderschuh ein Denkmal für eine verlorene Sohle gesetzt. 

Schließlich kam ich oben am Aussichtsturm an, aber an diesem Tag gab es weder Aussicht und Einkehr. Das Wanderheim war wohl saisonal geschlossen. Gut, dass ich für den Fall vorgesorgt und meine eigenen Vorräte mitgebracht hatte.


After a well deserved break with sandwich and tea I moved on. The view wasn't getting any better, and the weather was just a bit too unpleasant to rest any longer.

Nach einer wohlverdienten Pause mit Vesper und Tee ging es dann weiter. Die Aussicht wurde nicht besser und das Wetter war einfach zu ungemütlich, noch länger zu verweilen.


While on my way back home I came by a hiker's shelter. Had I carried a portable stove, and some instant soup along, I would have loved to cook a little meal right there. However, this was no more than wishful thinking, but when I arrived back at home, the first thing I did was preparing a tasty hot meal.

Zwischendurch kam ich noch an einer kleinen Schutzhütte vorbei. Wenn ich einen Spirituskocher und Instantfutter dabei gehabt hätte, hätte ich mir dort gern noch eine kleine Stärkung für den Rückweg zubereitet. Aber das war reines Wunschdenken und so weit war es ja nicht bis nach Hause, so gab es das wärmende Süppchen eben später.

14 comments:

  1. Und ich befürchtete schon, du hättest eine deiner Sohlen begraben müssen. Ist ja nochmal gut gegangen...
    Bei euch sieht's etwa gleich aus wie bei uns. Etwas früh der Schnee dieses Jahr im Schwarzwald, nicht?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich habe tatsächlich dieses Jahr schon ein Paar Schuhe verschlissen, allerdings bringe ich die dann doch nicht als Opfergabe in den Wald ;-)
      Das weiße Zeug war ein wenig früh, aber kommende Woche wird's nochmal richtig warm...

      Delete
  2. Quite the solitude conveyed by the great pics SonjaM....question though, are you within cell phone coverage in case of trouble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cell phone coverage is a bit spotty at times when walking through a valley but on the hills reception is ok. However, no matter where you are, your are never more than a few miles away from civilisation, Dom.

      Delete
  3. Sonja,
    I'm in awe of your enthusiasm and fitness! At least we get to share you gorgeous views from a warm spot though! At what sort of altitude is the snow line at present? I prefer to go to the snow, don't like it to come to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, snow line had been at 600 meters, and I had to go there, which was fine with me. The valley is still snow-free. I like snow, just not in my immediate backyard, and especially not when commuting.

      Delete
  4. Nice little tale, Sonja--and great accompanying photos... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful with the dusting of snow. I can here your boots crunch from here. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Brandy, for now I think that snow is better than the mud we had before. This opinion might change during season though ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hiker retreats!?! Why would you ever rent a hotel room again? Off the grid, no cell service, sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cell service can be limited indeed, Brad. These retreats might require a membership of a hiking club, however they are usually fairly cheap, and often come with more than just shelter. You will be served a simple but proper meal as well as warm or cold drinks.

      Delete
  7. I want to see up close one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SonjaM,
    I really like your B&W photos, you have a good eye for composition and detail. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
    CCjon

    ReplyDelete