Here is another pass from the French Alps. The Col de L'Iseran is a popular spot, hence we where lucky to get a pic without other two and four wheelers getting in the way. With 2,770m it is the highest paved mountain pass of the Alps, and a Must Do for every Alp rider.
That was then... our (sometimes leaky) canvas hotel. By the end of a tour we would usually get quite proficient in pitching the tent, and also packing in again. I would not want to miss this experience for the world; the winds, the hail storms, the scorching heat, the silence, the fragance of wildflowers, and candle light dinners under clear night skies. Who needs five stars, when he can have a million?
Somewhere in the the south west of France. The pic's outcome is a little shaky since I was riding on pillion with a friend on his butt vibrator, a.k.a. Harley Davidson.
Good food, good wine, and lots of scenic routes. Vive la France! My only regret: I wish I had done a better job at documenting my motorcycle travels.
Thanks for sharing those pictures. It looks like a great trip. I know what you mean about wishing you'd taken more pictures. Sometimes it doesn't seem important at the time but later on it's sure nice to have them.
ReplyDeleteCool revisit Sonja. While I have come to realize the importance of pictures, sometimes it's better to just experience the trip, without having to stop and set up the camera.
ReplyDeletenice report!
ReplyDeleteDon't you miss Europe?
ReplyDeleteSounds like a lovely trip! Loved the pics.
ReplyDeleteOne of these times when I'm in France, I'm going to rent a mc and take to the road! Curious about camping abroad...have you camped solo? It's the one experience missing in my long distance solo riding--I do enjoy a hotel after a long, hot day in the saddle.
Camping here (at least in some places) has issues that overly concern my spouse so I've reluctantly compromised not to camp alone. Wondering if camping solo abroad might be a different abroad. I am an experienced camper. Just curious about the differences a solo female might expect on "foreign" soil.
Thanks.
@Komet: There were more pics but things seem to get lost during separation from old friends or relocation. But the memory is still alive.
ReplyDelete@Lance: It can be a pain in the butt to stop every time for a good pic, and we enjoyed the riding so much that we actually didn’t think about photo documentation.
@Charlie: Thanks for stopping by.
@Nicos: I do miss Europe sometimes, but mostly for family or food.
@Sojourner: I have never camped solo, some reasons being getting the tent pitched, having company for dinner, and staying warm at night ;-). Nevertheless I believe that camping in France is relatively safe. As solo traveler your best bet would be asking for a safe spot. Usually those campsites would be closer to the other crowds or facilities. And there will always be fellow bikers around to protect you. Like everywhere else campers are easy to connect with and look out for each other, and even watch over for your stuff when you are not around.
If your travel plan includes the south west of France I have a recommendation of a phantastic biker-only-campground and B&B for you: http://www.las-clauzes.de/pages/mlcen.php Great food, homegrown wines, and breathtaking scenery.
Thanks for the feedback and info! Very much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteSonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI envy your past travels. I have always been an Urban Rider, until now I have the urge to take a M/C trip. During the past few years I have taken short 3-5 day trips to expand my circle. There are some excellent M/C roads in the interior of BC
Now you will have to go back to France, rent a bike and take those photos you left behind.
bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin
@Bob: Actually I thought about going back, rent a bike and do it all over again. Maybe one day, if my budget allows it. But I will be happy to scoot around in BC, Washington and Oregon for a while.
ReplyDeleteIt is important to document those travels. I find I'm one of the least diligent when it comes to photographing when I'm traveling on two (or 3) wheels. Perhaps it's because I make photos for a living and simply won't stop for a photo unless I see some potential in the image. At any rate, I am resolving right now to do a better documentation of my upcoming ride from Seattle to San Antonio in late spring.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your new job, by the way. Hope to run into you in the Pac NW sometime soon. There is a great little rally just south of the border in Bellingham in late July. Bobskoot usually comes down for the "Hamster Run" so perhaps the two of you can hook up and make the trip!
@Chuck: I have to admit, that I started documenting my travels since digital cameras became affordable. I was not a big fan of paper pics, and those negatives got misplaced all the time.
ReplyDeleteThanks on the heads-up for the rally, that sounds great. I will make sure I have a ride come Summer, worst case, I will have to rent one...
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI am actually an associate member of the SOB's. (Scooters Of Bellingham) having a paid up membership. There are some great roads down there and you will meet many that come from the Seattle area. Of course, Chuck (my photo buddy) will be there too. I have to fight him for the photos. I'm not a camper but they have a secure area for you if you wish to stay over.
I am thinking of going to Redmond, OR to the BMW MOA rally and hitting the Hamster Rally on the return. Dates are already posted, check their site - scootersofbellingham.org
bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteam I missing something ? What happened to the Silverwing ? You only sold LadyHawk . . .
bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin