Pages

July 29, 2012

A Spa Day for Paolo

... and a lazy day for us. It has been almost a year since Paolo got a well deserved service. This time he got an extra goodie: a Wolo Bad Boy airhorn. Soundbite here. Cagers, can you here me NOW? While saying my good-byes to Paolo I stumbled upon this pretty piece.
I sure shouldn't be eying other scooters while Paolo gets his guts pulled out. Bad Sonja.
Soon we left the bike in the good hands of Will, the master mechanic at Urban Wasp. For those familiar with Enterprise (TOS) Will is for Vespa what Scotty is for the Enterprise, a miracle worker and often playing on the Scotty Factor.

For breakfast the hubby found a fantastic vegan/vegetarian food place just down the road. Vancouver is a great spot for healthy food choices. We got Sejuiced. We ordered some booster juices, an omelette for Roland and scrambled tofu with spinach for me. De-li-cious!

After breakfast we walked off the calories in the neighbourhood. Vancouver has a project of community gardens going on, and we were fascinated by how it changes the cityscapes.
 A previous railroad track transformed into a little paradise.
I am not known for my green thumb, but I can certainly appreciate the time and effort that all those volunteer gardeners put into this little oasis.

Our stroll continued down to the water passing totem poles. At Kits beach we occupied a bench and spent an hour (or more) watching people and the water doing nothing.
I really love this guy.
Although we are in the city, it doesn't look like it. Don't we live in a beautiful place?
I am wearing a birthday present from hubby: my new leather jacket ordered from England by way of Germany to Canada (and yet half the price of what one would have payed when bought in town).
 Taking a closer look:
The sculptures are some leftovers from the Vancouver Biennale. I am fascinated by the simplicity of this one:
 That piece is called "Frozen Water".
 Often photographed.
 Isn't it beautiful?
Roland meanwhile was drawn to satisfying some more basic needs, a.k.a. a coffee break.
And I got to eat my cookie ration from Edible Flours, a vegan (and gluten free) bakery.
No, kitty, I am not sharing! (This one climbed up my leg but no harm done thanks to my Kevlar jeans.)
Before returning to the Vespa shop I got sidetracked by a Honda dealer in the vicinity, and checked out the new NC700X.
Good upright seating position, and feet almost flat on the ground. The bike is well balanced, and I am pleased to see that it comes with ABS.
It is not the tank, it is a trunk that fits a full face helmet.
 The gas tank is hidden under the seat.
I actually like the bike. Maybe I am going to give it a try and book a test ride just to see what it can do.

Meanwhile back at the shop, the work on Paolo is finished, and the scooter is ready to go.
And off we go, meeting some friends at our most favourite part of the city: the pier at Steveston, where we always get a prime parking spot for scooters.
Good times!



33 comments:

  1. Sonja, that horn is actually Italian, very fitting for Paolo. It's a Stebel Nautilus. I wouldn't ride any bike that didn't have one. Gorgeous photos. Vancouver is a great city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used it yet, but I am looking forward to waking up some cagers when necessary.

      Delete
  2. It certainly is a beautiful city. One of the most beautiful. I love our PNW and your SW culture! And I love your jacket! I had my eye on something similar, but the price was just too much for me.

    The Viking ship photo is a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jacket is really something, and I am happy that my hubby knows what (his) woman wants ;-)

      When I spotted the viking ship I couldn't believe it at first.

      Delete
  3. Sonja:

    it is good to have a down day to relax. Sunday is our normal "down" day, and my non-riding day.

    sorry forgot, Happy Belated Birthday

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. We also have to have more of those "down" days. Usually we plan our weekends through and through but some times it is just nice not having... plans and let the day float by.

      Delete
  4. FWIW Sonja, it was a Stebel Air Horn that was going full blast to warn off the stupid fat cow that sideswiped me....great horn, but....all other rules of safe riding continue to apply. :)

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, the horn doesn't make me a better rider? I thought that would be good enough ;-)

      Delete
  5. Wait, wait, wa... ?! That's a Triumph jacket now ... Bonneville or Scrambler finally on the way? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, well. Honestly, I haven't settled on another bike yet. I have a hard time spending top dollars on a motorcycle that isn't up to current technical standards (maybe that's the European in me talking...), not sure if I can overcome and throw my expectations into the bin.

      Delete
  6. So many good things all packed into one beautiful day. Riding scooter, tasty breakfast, coffee break, Triumph jacket (happy birthday) and you got to see one of the new Hondas. I've been waiting for them to hit the showrooms here, but none yet.

    And a coffee and cookie........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Honda might be worthwhile looking into. Unfortunately they won't offer the semi-automatic transmission in Canada. I was hoping that with this feature I would be able to persuade hubby to get a 'real motorcycle'...

      Delete
  7. Sonja - a belated happy birthday sweetheart!

    Lovely photos all of them but I'm delighted to see your new leather jacket - there seems to be some subliminal programming going on :-). Incidentally, husband and wife friends of mine who have just settled in Christchurch from the UK put in orders this weekend for "his and hers" Street Triples after taking one for a demo ride over the Port hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Geoff. Slowly but steadily conditioning. 'Little strokes fell big oaks' they say.
      "His and hers" Street Triples that's so sweet. Wishing them safe travels and lots of fun!

      Delete
  8. Vancouver to me is a blend of the urban with lots of beautiful open space -- not that sterile concentration of grayness that are most other cities.

    The view from the waterfront between Stanley Park and Canada Place at sunset is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, Vancouver offers a nice combination of nature and urban dwellings. Not many cities are located in such a prime area surrounded by mountains and ocean.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday Sonja! Love your triumph jacket. I wear triumph boots, the are awesome the new Honda 700s is singing to my soul. I really want to try one, but am not in the market so I don't wnt o waste their time, but then again. Lovely pictures! We are very lucky to live where we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dar. This Honda really has something. Fuel economy is said to be even better than the F650GS from BMW. It might be an interesting option.

      Delete
  10. That litle pale blue number look like a classic Vespa design. Is it a P200E?

    Looks not a lot different from my ex-1966 SS180.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid I don't know. All it said was 'Wolfsburg Edition' on a sticker. Maybe it was a reference to the colour though. But what a pretty bike that was.

      Delete
  11. Sonja - happy birthday (great present, hubby must really like you!)Beautiful photos of the city. I love the community gardens, people take such pride in their city when they add to it's beauty. Vancouver is a lovely spot for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might come to think that the hubby appreciates me and shows his affection by these (not so) little tokens.
      I was impressed with those community gardens and hope that they will be sponsored also in the future.

      Delete
  12. Love edible flours! Glad you made it over and that the cookie survived long enough to be photographed. Mine was half eaten before I remembered in had a camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got five cookies with different flavours. One didn't even make it out of the store, the rest.. became my lunch / dinner as we were meeting friends at a fish and chips place, and I currently would eat neither. Thanks for guiding me there.

      Delete
  13. When it comes to riding it is both good to been seen and heard! What a great photo of the Viking ship. Isn't it fun when something so unexpected shows up?

    I, too, was interested in the new Honda, and while the price point surprised me...it is still too rich for me.

    What a marvelous sounding and looking day!
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The area seems always good for a surprise. Last time dragon boats, this time a Viking ship. I wonder what's next...

      Compared to other models I also would have expected that Honda would be more agressive in their pricing.

      Delete
  14. Many happy returns and I'm sure that Geoff is on to something....buy a bike to at least match your jacket then worry about hers and his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikos. The jacket looks very good when I am on my Vespa, too. It's a nice match ;-)

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh, but you do live in a gorgeous place. I may have empty roads, but you have funky art and beautiful water and gorgeous scenery. Very nice. I love the community garden pics. The jacket is awesome. Are things really so expensive up there? Is it Canada in general, or just your area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cost for any goods in Canada are much higher than e.g. in the States. That's why we always search the internet for the best deal, and have it shipped across the border.

      The jacket was a sweet deal because it is still on "official" sale in Canada, but the very same model has already been released to the Outlet Store in England, as Triumph changes their clothing line three times a year or so.

      Since it couldn't be shipped direct, we had it shipped to Germany first, and turned it around to Canada after together with some family birthday presents for me.

      Delete
  16. The jacket looks amazing. I'm jealous:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have the branded jacket, you have the bike. Who would you think is better off ;-)

      Delete
  17. After seeing the images of task I was too worried where would be the petrol tank. Scrolling down it cleared my doubt. I think this would the latest two wheeler. Just wants to some feature about this bike. Will be waiting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete