Pages

August 20, 2013

The Fire Head Loop

The sun came out, then it rained, then it didn't. Finally I lost patience with the weather, geared up and went out for a little spin up and around the Brandenkopf (translated: Fire Head), one of the higher mountains (945m) in the Black Forest.
The mountain was renamed Brandenkopf after a devastating forest fire in the early 18th century.

The roads were slippery from the rain but I wouldn't want to go fast anyway.
On top of the mountain one will find one of the most efficient wind turbines in Germany. The wind up here blows steady, and with the rotors in motion 24/7, so far 22.7 million kWh of sustainable energy has been produced since installation in 2002.
A must do is the ascent of hundred something steps up the Brandenkopf watch tower. I climb the tower every time because the vistas are well worth the exercise.
While the western skies looked bright and friendly, the east side got increasingly overclouded. It was time for me to move on.
Single file lanes, usually a bit tricky to negotiate with oncoming traffic, were not an issue today. So far I have not encountered one car or tractor on my route.
The track followed a small creek that matured with every other twist and turn downwards fed by other brooks and rivulets.
A wooden bridge piqued my curiosity, and I made an unplanned detour. I found a little Mary's chapel at the end of the road.
Meanwhile the creek had turned into a stream.
I knew it, the weather gods were against me today. I got to get going again although I would have loved to dwell a bit longer.
Wait a minute! A covered bridge. Once again I had to stop for a photo op.
Twenty klicks from home the skies were promising weather of apocalyptic dimensions. It was high time, when I donned my rain gear!
The rain came down with full force, and at one point I had to seek shelter at a post office, to wait out the downpour.
When the worst was over, I continued to venture home. Not without stopping, though.
The air smelled fresh after the rain, and all was well when the clouds gave way to blue skies again.
The final trek was pretty plashy. But Alonzo liked playing in the puddles.
The rain gear and my boots kept me reasonably dry, except for some droplets that found their way down my neck. My gloves however were completely soaked.

***

Rund um den Brandenkopf.
Der Brandenkopf mit fast 1,000m Höhe ist unser Hausberg. Von unserer Wohnung aus kann man ihn in der Ferne sogar sehen. Da sich das Wetter heute als sehr unzuverlässig erwies, wollte ich nur eine kleine Runde drehen. Also, 'rauf auf den Brandenkopf, und auf der Ostseite wieder 'runter. Auf der gesamten Strecke gab es nur kleinste einspurige Wege. Kein Problem, denn außer ein paar Treckern gab es keinen Verkehr. Nach einem Fotostop an einer Marienkapelle nahe Wolfach wurde der Himmel richtig schwarz. Ich drehte am Gasgriff und ließ die Vespa fliegen, aber dem Regen konnte ich nicht entkommen. Also zog ich meine Regenkleidung und die Warnweste über. Dann ging die Welt unter und die Straßen verwandelten sich in Seen. An einem Postamt nutzte ich deren Vordach, um den schlimmsten Guss abzuwarten. Die Weiterfahrt wurde einfach zu gefährlich. Nach zehn Minuten tropfte es nur noch und ich konnte weiter ziehen. Jetzt machte das Pfützenspringen Spaß! Die Wolken verzogen sich, als wenn es sie nie gegeben hätte. Es hatte sich aber merklich abgekühlt, und so behielt ich die Regensachen bis zum Schluss an. Zu Hause angekommen musste ich erst einmal die Handschuhe auswringen. Sie waren das einzige, was auf der Fahrt nicht trocken geblieben war.

19 comments:

  1. I cant get over how cute Alonza looks on the road, he fits so well into that lovely picturesque landscape. Love the little bridge and church but that second photo has to be my favourite.

    You really are getting out on some adventures aren't you .. and a little downpour isn't gonna stop you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing's going to stop me for the time being, as long as I got the time and the gas money ;-)

      Delete
  2. It just keeps getting more beautiful. There's not one season that won't be as splendid as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucky. It was good, indeed.

      Delete
  4. Ein schöner Ausflug, wenn auch ein bisschen feucht. Aber es gibt ja Gore Tex ... hmmmpff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo und danke für's Vorbeischauen. GoreTex und über 25C haben nur einen beschränkten Spaßfaktor, Vorteil ist aber, die Klamotten trocknen quasi auf dem Leib.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see a little rain hardly slows you down SonjaM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I am from the Wet Coast ;-) what's a little rain, eh?

      Delete
  6. That really is a beautiful area at least what you are showing us in your photos. At least this route didn't have any mud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, it looks like this everywhere I go. I haven't found an ugly spot yet, but I will look out and post one when I find it ;-)

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with Brenda - Alonzo is the perfect dot of colour in each photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I got that idea from Dom a.k.a. Charlie6 and his hack.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos Sonja!! The view from that tower really is something too.

    +1 on what Brenda and Karen said Alonso is the perfect color in that setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandy. The tower on 'my' mountain is awesome and I look forward to go there often to capture the change of seasons.

      Delete
  9. Sonja:

    I like those lonely roads with no traffic

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Alas, there is no going fast on these roads, maybe 50 to 60 klicks in average and on a good and dry day... but time is not an issue for now. I have enough of it.

      Delete