Many people chose to walk the walk for spiritual reasons, others for the fitness challenge. To get into the spirit of the pilgrimage I strongly recommend this movie: The Way.
The trails are marked by the shell of a saltwater clam. An old pilgrim's greeting is E Ultreïa! Onwards! (Or more contemporary: Buon Camino!).
Thirsty pilgrims and wanderers might be one reason why there are so many wells and fountains along the way. I for myself used the water to clean my bug splattered visor.
Below is the former (nun) abbey of Wittichen, founded in 1325 by the Poor Clares, a sister order of the Franciscans.
The foundress chose a secluded narrow valley for the abbey, the church was set on a hill, while the long building provided housing for the nuns, and also served as a shield against strangers.
Alonzo posing in front of the stable, which houses a museum, alas, it was closed.
Ultreïa! Onwards now, the road is calling. There are some fantastic twists and turns waiting ahead of us!
***
Pilgerfahrt.
Ein glücklicher Zufall führte mich heute am Kloster Wittichen vorbei, einer Wallfahrtsstätte des Jakobsweges. Alle Wege führen nach Rom, und noch mehr zum Dom in Santiago de Compostela. Auch wenn ich kein religiöser Mensch bin, so verstehe ich doch die spirituelle Bedeutung dieser Pilgerroute. Die Jakobsmuschel zeigt dem Wanderer den Weg und Ultreia ist der alte Gruß der Pilger, was so viel bedeutet wie: voran, vorwärts! Ein wohl dieser Tage geläufigerer Gruß ist Buon Camino, einen guten Weg! Am Wegesrand gibt es immer wieder Brunnen, und ich kann nur vermuten, dass diese den durstigen Pilgern zur Erfrischung dienen sollten.
Das Nonnen-Kloster Wittichen wurde im 14. Jahrhundert von einer Klarisse gegründet. Laut Wiki ist der Klarissen-Orden ein Schwesterorden der Franziskaner. Die Anlage enthielt eine Kirche, ein Schlafhaus, Stallungen und andere Zeughäuser, aber nicht alle Gebäude haben die Jahrhunderte unbeschadet überstanden. Leider war das Museum geschlossen. Ich hätte gern noch mehr erfahren.

When I first heard about the film I knew I'd have to watch it....time passed and I forgot about it. Thank you for the reminder; now it will happen, once riding season passes.
ReplyDelete"a shield against strangers"....I can often relate to that. :)
Coop, watching the movie will be time well spent, especially after riding season. Martin Sheen is at his best.
Delete"Thirsty pilgrims and wanderers might be one reason why there are so many wells and fountains along the way. I for myself used the water to clean my bug splattered visor." ... *GRÖÖÖÖHL* ... you made my day :)
ReplyDeleteJust utilizing what's at hand. I have also used creek water before, but this was easier to access.
DeleteSo cool that you were able to find part of the pilgrimage trail.
ReplyDeleteWe saw The Way several months ago streaming on Netflix and thought it quite good. Makes one want to take off and walk, and walk, and keep walking.
I had the same notion when I watched that movie. I wanted to take off and walk this walk. Maybe I will still do it one day.
DeleteSonja, keep the pictures and roaming adventures coming.
ReplyDeleteAs for Alonzo, check this out.
Oh, you found his long lost cousin. Thanks, David.
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures and post. A friend walked much of the route in Spain and gave me a CD of his photos....time to see them once again. Great to find a piece of it!
ReplyDelete