The modifications on my bike were merely cosmetic, because unfortunately I got way too quickly to the end of my budget. However, here's the little that had been done:
Kellermann turn signals in front and rear
and
lowered plate holder with Alcatraz rear light
and
lowered plate holder with Alcatraz rear light
Hollywood handlebar
Adjustable clutch and brake levers and steel braided lines
Black mirrors
Arlen Ness beveled fusion grips
Gaitors
Adjustable clutch and brake levers and steel braided lines
Black mirrors
Arlen Ness beveled fusion grips
Gaitors
| Sportster 2014 |
Rover's evolution for comparison
![]() |
| Sportster 2013 |
| Sportster 2012 |
| Sporster 2011 |
The weather was somewhat fair, so I thought a little test little test ride was in order. With Roland on Bella in the lead we took a ferry to cross the Rhine, entered the empty roads of France, and by following the river upstream meandered to Weil am Rhein. It is the most southwesterly town in Germany, where the Swiss, French and German borders meet, and a suburb of Basel, Switzerland.
Here we visited the VITRA design museum. More on this can be found on our Magers-in-Europe blog.
| Living Spaces Exhibition |
![]() |
| Vitra Design Museum |
Besides Rover getting a slimmer look, the new handlebars and shocks instantly proved its money's worth. Thanks to the angle of the bars the ergonomics have improved a lot by allowing a more relaxed upright sitting position, while the shocks provide a deliciously smooth ride over potholes and bumps. Now we're ready to explore the Black Forest in earnest.
Translation of Ursel's comment: Now, she's really happy to have her Harley back, isn't she?
***
Zurück aus der Werkstatt
Am Donnerstag bekam ich einen Anruf meiner Werkstatt, dass meine 2008 Harley Davidson Sportster fertig sei. Ich konnte es kaum erwarten, aber musste doch dann bis Samstag morgen warten, bis ich das Motorrad schließlich abholen konnte. Zu zweit fuhren wir auf Roland's Vespa dann zu Hawg Supply nach Kürzell. Leider hat mein Budget nicht für mehr gereicht, also waren die Veränderungen dann doch "nur" kosmetischer Natur. Im Einzelnen waren es diese:
- Kellermann Blinker vorne und hinten
- Versetztes Nummernschild mit Alcatraz Rücklicht
- Hollywood Lenker
- Verstellbare Brems- und Schalthebel, sowie Stahlflexleitungen
- Schwarze Spiegel
- Arlen Ness Griffe
- Faltenbälge
- Progressive Stoßdämpfer
- Arlen Ness Fußrasten
Wir machten uns auf eine Testfahrt, nahmen die Fähre über den Rhein und wechselten auf die französische Seite. Leere Straßen führten uns flussaufwärts nach Weil am Rhein, wo wir das Vitra Design Museum besuchen wollten. Mehr dazu gibt es auf unserem Magers-in-Europe Blog.
Es war ein langer Tag. Meine Sportster hat wieder 200km mehr auf dem Tacho und die Upgrades haben sich bereits bewährt. Während der Lenker durch seine Krümmung für eine entspanntere Sitzposition sorgt, bewahren mich die neuen Stoßdämpfer vor argen Schlägen in den Rücken bei Fahrten durch Schlaglöcher oder über Bodenwellen. So bestens gerüstet, freuen Rover und ich uns schon, den Schwarzwald erobern.



Wow your bike has transformed quite substantially since 2011. Happy riding in the black forest, I'm sure it will be fun.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Chillertek. It will never be a bike for carving sharp and fast corners but I love it anyway ;-)
DeleteSonja what a transformation it has been, but sounds like you're loving it even more. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteKaren, I the bike has grown on me, and now I'll never let it go…
DeleteSonja, I must say that I like the new tail light and plate holder. They work well with the big license plate. Suspension upgrades are always good too.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Erik. the plate was something for the looks, but the suspension was really good for the feel ;-) (My back will thank me later…)
DeleteSo glad you were able to pick Rover up from the shop and get out for a ride. He's looking quite stylish and it is good that it's helped with the ride comfort too.
ReplyDeleteI really like the tail light/brake light. And the gaitors remind me of a Triumph.
Huge changes over the years. Looks so different, yet so much better.
Brandy, I never gave up on the looks of a Triumph Scrambler but I am hooked on this little Sporty for now. It might get to a point were it will resemble an old school bike or a light scrambler… but that's something for the next winter breaks to think about.
DeleteVery nice, and a much safer numberplate!
ReplyDeleteNikos, are you in fact hinting on the angle of the plate? It is still within legal limits, and will be legible to the powers that be, you know.
DeleteI don't doubt it, especially for Police helicopters! My comment was aimed at the meat chopper angle of the original. Reminded me of the cheese cutter semicircular plates we used to have on the front mud guard.
DeleteNice looking upgrades. What I'm baffled at was all of the effort that went into having to have this and that during the certification process when things just get changed out later...
ReplyDeleteRichard, as a matter of fact my registration papers are a page full of these changes: the bars, the shocks, the steel braided brake lines etc, and it had cost a total fee of 120EUR. I guess that's likely the main reason for the certification process… it's a cash cow. It is either the entry in the registration papers, or riding around with a bunch of documents for each of the parts called ABE (allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis = Common operating certificate). Believe me, the update in the registration papers is more convenient in the end...
DeleteVery nice Sonja. So now the migration is complete I believe. And it only took a year. Not so bad really. And you are now blessed with a more forgiving climate and lots and lots of wonderful places to explore.
ReplyDeleteFunny that you mention that. Indeed, it feels like another step forward in the repatriation progress. The climate has been mild this year, I have been told, that's far from normal. For us however, this year meant lots of two-wheeled bliss in winter.
DeleteSchick, schick! Viel Spaß beim Hingucken :-)
ReplyDeleteDanke… und beim (hoffentlichen) Bewundertwerden.
DeleteArlen Ness, I remember that being one of the "aspire to standards" in farkle manufacture....good stuff.
ReplyDeleteGlad you got your roadster back.....good pics as well.
Thanks, Dom. The brand had been recommended to me by my mechanic. And it looks so pretty on the Sporty. I am very satisfied with the outcome. I just wished I had had a bit more budget left… so much to do, so little money...
DeleteAber mal richtig schick, die Sportster :)
ReplyDeleteNicht schlecht, oder?
DeleteSonja, I like it and definitely approve! I'm curious, were all of the parts sourced in Germany, some shipped from overseas, none?
ReplyDeleteCoop, thanks! There is a major dealership for aftermarket parts called Custom Chrome Europe. It's the German subsidiary of the US company. Most of it had two to three weeks lead-time so I suspect they got it from the States.
DeleteEcht cooles Foto vor dem Museum! Schön geworden ist der Rover! Auf in eine grandiose und gesundheitsfördernde Saison!
ReplyDeleteDanke Heike, wer weiß, vielleicht sind Rover und ich ja mal irgendwann auf dem Weg zu Dir...
Delete