Gary decided to wait it out and have a coffee stop after only 80km, plus another one in Sainte Marie aux Mines. Usually I don’t drink coffee as much as I did on this trip but I felt the urge to stay alert. Overall I wasn't at my best today. Although I had been briefed about the group ride by Gary, I was feeling uncomfortable, and it was not only caused by the weather. Maybe it was a foreboding of the things to come. The Sporty tires kept slipping on the wet surface, and added to my discomfort while we were climbing the Vosges Mountains.
I slowed down, slipped a few times, I shifted early, and avoided breaking just using the engine break, and was still slipping. I was so focussed on the next awkward move of my bike that I suddenly ended up in the wrong gear at the wrong speed and on the wrong side of the road, with a serious case of target fixation on top of that, while heading into another turn. That was it, the trip and maybe my two-wheeled career will end here and now, I might have thought, but as a matter of fact there wasn’t much thinking involved in the next few seconds, just bare survival instinct. I hit the brakes hard leaving a white cloud of smoke behind, lifted my butt of the seat, somehow managed to keep the Sportster balanced between my legs while concentrating on a positive target fixation (the road ahead!), successfully ignoring the steep slope on my left. I won the battle but barely. Thank the powers that be that there wasn’t any oncoming traffic. What a stupid mistake. From now on I needed to concentrate on the right stuff. I gave my sweeper the thumbs up and continued riding without stopping. During that whole episode my pulse didn’t even miss a beat, in fact I wasn’t even excited or felt sick after. Oddly enough my further riding improved, and from now on I was riding with more confidence. It was a lesson learned.
Gary had us stop at several viewpoints but vistas were limited. However it served me well. I could catch up again with everybody, and the halts provided me a welcome break. There was a lunch break at Grand Ballon, with 1424m the highest peak in the Vosges Mountains, but the food (a veggie soup) was nothing to write home about. From now on it was all downhill again, and it went surprisingly well. By the time we reached the bottom I was running on fumes. We came across two gas stations that were closed, and had to use the spare petrol bottle I brought along which lasted for the last stretch to find a refill.
| With Gary in the Vosges Mountains |
| Jack, Fenan and Collum |
| John and Kay |
We had arrived in the Rhine valley, crossed the river and the border to Germany and entered the Southern part of the Black Forest. The surface was dry for a change, and the tire grip so much better. I felt home on these roads. Unfortunately Gary’s brand new rear tire developed a flat. I rang up the closest Harley Davidson branches but all were closed on Mondays. So Gary decided stay in a hotel close to the next dealership while the rest of the group, now led by Tom, one of the Irish guys, continued our tour through the Black Forest down to Uhldingen at Lake Constance. The Irish gents convinced me to change my road position to second from now on, which turned out to be much easier than playing catch up in the back. Thanks, guys.
| in the Black Forest |
We arrived at Hotel Sternen, a newly renovated place with huge rooms, around 7:30 pm. I couldn’t wait to hit the shower. Suddenly I heard the typical grumble of a Harley engine. It turned out to be Gary. Did he manage to fix the bike? No! But he found out if he was going fast enough he would not lose as much air, so he continued at a fast pace, flying over German roads, likely ignoring speed limits at times, and stopped at every other gas station to refill air. What a brave act. We gathered at 8.30 pm for an awesome dinner (with lots of vegan options for me) at the hotel restaurant, and everybody called it a day soon after. Oh boy, what an exhausting long day with too much riding (420km), too many sights, and not enough breaks (for me that was), but in the end it turned out to be a fabulous day. Coming to think of it, my day could have easily ended quite differently, if it weren’t for my Guardian Angel working overtime.
***
Am Rande des Abgrunds
Unsere Abreise war für 08:30 Uhr geplant, und während einige das Frühstück auslassen mussten, verließen andere wohl gesättigt das Haus. Gary fuhr voran, gefolgt von dem britischen Ehepaar und den irischen Jungs. Ich hatte darum gebeten, als zweitletzter vor Oliver, unserem letzten Mann, zu fahren. Es war kalt (11C), aber die Sonne kam heraus, und wir waren in guter Hoffnung, doch als wir die Ausläufer der Vogesen erreichten, wurden wir von dichtem Nebel, null Sicht und (wieder einmal) nassen Straßen begrüßt. Bis hierhin war es eine zügige Fahrt mit Geschwindigkeiten zwischen 110/120 km/h, welche mein Nacken und meine Schultern wegen des Winddrucks gar nicht lustig fanden. Gary hatte beschlossen, eine Kaffeepause einzulegen. Vielleicht würde der Nebel ja verschwinden. Aber auch beim nächsten Stopp in St. Marie aux Mines war noch keine Wetterbesserung in Sicht.
Normalerweise trinke ich nicht viel Kaffee, aber auf dieser Reise hatte ich das Gefühl, ohne diesen ging es nicht. Ich wollte wach bleiben. Insgesamt fühlte ich mich sowieso schon nicht besonders, und das kam nicht nur vom Wetter. Obwohl mich Gary bezüglich Gruppenfahrten belehrt hatte war ich meiner nicht sicher. Vielleicht hatte ich so eine Vorahnung. Immer wieder rutschte der Hinterreifen der Sportster auf dem feuchten und moosigen Asphalt weg. Das machte mich nervös und unsicher. Ich wurde langsamer, versuchte früh herunter zu schalten und wenig zu bremsen. Irgendwann war ich so fixiert auf das nächste Wegrutschen, dass ich mich plötzlich viel zu schnell und im falschen Gang, auf der falschen Straßenseite und fast schon den Abhang 'runter sah. Dazu kam noch ein Fall von Zielbindung (target fixation). Ich fuhr, wohin ich schaute… und das war nicht mehr die Straße entlang. Ich dachte schon, das war es. Die Tour und wahrscheinlich meine Zweirad-Karriere enden hier und jetzt. Aber ehrlich gesagt war nicht viel mit Denken, sondern pures instinktives Handeln.
Ich trat voll auf die Bremse bis es qualmte, hob meinen Hintern aus dem Sitz, balancierte die Sportster zwischen den Beinen und konzentrierte mich auf die Straße, statt auf den Abgrund links neben mir. Und ich schaffte es tatsächlich, aufrecht zu bleiben. Gerade so. Was für ein blöder Anfängerfehler! Ich gab meinem Hintermann Daumen hoch und ich hielt nicht einmal an, um Luft zu schnappen. Mein Puls war kurioserweise ganz ruhig und mein Fahrstil nach diesem Vorfall erstaunlicherweise besser. Mein Selbstvertrauen und auch das Vertrauen ins Motorrad waren wieder voll da.
Gary ließ die Gruppe an mehreren Aussichtspunkte stoppen was mir Gelegenheit gab, wieder mit den anderen aufzuschließen. Wir legten eine Mittagspause am Grand Ballon ein, der mit 1424m der höchste Berg in den Vogesen ist, aber das Essen war grenzwertig. Von nun an ging es wieder bergab, und es ging überraschend gut. Als wir wieder im Tal angekommen waren, war mein Reservetank fast leer und die nächsten beiden Tankstellen waren geschlossen. Also musste meine Ersatzflasche 'ran. Der extra Liter brachte mich dann doch noch zu einer offenen Tankstelle. Danach überquerten wir den Rhein und die Grenze nach Deutschland. Von nun an ging es durch den südlichen Schwarzwald. Die Straßen waren trocken und griffig und mein Fahrspaß wieder voll da. Hier war ich zu Hause.
Leider hatte Gary einen Platten, und zwar in seinem brandneuen Hinterreifen. Ich rief verschiedene Harley Davidson Händler an, aber alle hatten montags geschlossen. Also würde er wohl in einem Hotel in der Nähe einer Werkstatt übernachten und uns am nächsten Tag wieder einholen. Der Rest der Truppe fuhr nun von Tom, einem der Iren, angeführt Richtung Uhldingen am Bodensee weiter. Die Jungs hatten mich überredet, direkt als zweite zu fahren, statt am Ende der Gruppe, und es stellte sich heraus, dass diese Position viel einfacher zu halten war.
Gegen halb acht abends kamen wir endlich am Hotel Sternen an, einem neu renovierten Haus mit großzügigen Zimmern und einer mehr als willkommener Regenwasserdusche. Plötzlich hörte ich das Grollen einer Harley im Hof. Es war tatsächlich Gary. Hatte er seinen Reifen reparieren können? Nee. Aber er hatte festgestellt, dass, wenn er nur schnell genug unterwegs ist, er viel weniger Luft verlor. Also flog er über die Landstraßen, wahrscheinlich hart an der Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung kratzend, und hielt bei jeder zweiten Tankstelle an, um Luft nachzufüllen. Ziemlich mutig.
Um 20:30 Uhr versammelten wir uns zu einem hervorragenden Abendessen in der Hotelgaststätte (es gab auch eine große vegane Auswahl) und ließen den Abend früh ausklingen. Was für ein Tag, zu viel gefahren (420km), zu viele Eindrücke zu verarbeiten und zu wenig Pausen (für mich). Ich habe schon fast vergessen, dass die heutige Tour für mich auch ganz anders hätte enden können. Dank meines wachsamen Schutzengels wurde es am Ende doch ein fantastischer Tag.
Wow, what a wild ride you had. I am glad your instincts and muscle memory kicked in and kept you safe.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, my instincts had me riding the Sportster like a dual sports bike, and until up to that moment I didn't know hat the bike could actually do it ;-)
DeleteSonja, glad you made it through that hairy moment, sounded pretty scary. Sometimes all you can do is 'hang in, hang on, and believe'. 420kms is a lot of riding, I get to a point where I just have to get off the bike and as much as I'd love to try iron butting it's never going yo happen, it just becomes too much and too tiring. Beautiful pics. SO GLAD YOU ARE OK!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dar, it was literally it: hang in, hang on and believe. And Iron Butt was never on my bucket list. I can't see the point of rushing through lovely scened without being able to appreciate it.
DeleteIt sounds like the roads were a little more than just challenging. Were they muddy or was the slipping due to water?
ReplyDeleteRichard, it had rained a lot lately and the roads felt like there were moss covered. But maybe it was just that the tires couldn't agree with the surface. I will have them changed for next season anyway.
DeleteQuite the day for both you and Gary.....glad your training kicked in and you avoided the target fixation! As to Gary's way of riding between gas stations, wow. Did nobody carry a puncture repair kit? Really?
ReplyDeleteDom, I always carry a tire repair kit, as most of the others. but it turned out to be an issue with the valve, which we hadn't been prepared for. It was a brand new tire by the way.
DeleteWhat an experience - glad you passed the test!
ReplyDeleteIs there a cruiser tire that will be ready for 90% pavement but still have 10% to give on loose or slippery surface?
Oha, das war ja knapp Sonja – aber gut gemeistert!
ReplyDeleteSpannende Fahrt mit den richtig großen Bikes – Klasse.
Toll, die Vogesen auf deinen Bildern wiederzusehen.