 |
| Last view on Bormio |
A very long riding day, most of it included riding on major trunk roads and highways, lied ahead of me, with 450km one of the longest rides I had done on my Sportster so far. After breakfast we said our goodbyes, exchanged email addresses and after a refill session at the petrol station I was on my own again. And guess what, it started to drizzle again. Not the best weather for another pass conquest. I skipped the idea riding Stelvio again and opted for the seemingly easier road to Livigno. I carefully climbed up Passo Foscagno at 2,291m elevation. Alas, the road was covered with a diesel track, and I was not amused, however I managed quite well, considering. There was some familiar slippage but no downfall.
 |
| Foscagno Pass |
 |
| It's raining again. |
 |
| View on Livigno |
After Livigno I hit the road to Davos but before that I had to conquer Flüela-Pass (2.383m) in Switzerland. This one was fairly easy, the surface was dry, and I had a good grip. It was fun but, oh my it was cold and windy. On top of the pass road it had a mere 3C, yet I had to stop and admire the view.
 |
| Flüela Pass |
In Davos I stopped for a warming bowl of soup (cauliflower curry) and a big mug of tea at
Schneider's, where I met a nice couple from the Lake District in England, who were actually headed to Bormio. I warmly recommended the hotel in which Gary's group had stayed the night before.
 |
| At Schneider's |
 |
| Walensee, Switzerland |
 |
| Doing slab time with a nice backdrop in Switzerland |
From then on it was slab time, but it had to be done. I traversed Switzerland, crossed the border to Germany and got home around tea time. It was a long ride but well worth it, and I can't wait to get back on the road again. But for now it is back to work.
***
Ein harter Tag
Vor mir lag mit 450km ein langer Motorradritt, das meiste davon fuhr ich auf Hauptstraßen und Autobahnen. Nach dem Frühstück verabschiedeten wir uns herzlich, tauschten Email Adressen aus. Unsere Wege trennten sich nach dem Auftanken. Natürlich musste es wieder anfangen zu nieseln, nicht das ideale Wetter, um wieder Pässe zu erklimmen. Also sparte ich mir die Rückfahrt über das Stilfser Joch und fuhr stattdessen den vermeintlich einfacheren Foscagno Pass (2.291m). Leider war die Straße durch eine Dieselspur fast unbefahrbar. Ich fuhr vorsichtig und überwand die Strecke ohne große Probleme. Danach ging es über den Flüela-Pass (2.383m) nach Davos in der Schweiz, wo ich mich im Schneider's bei Blumenkohl-Curry-Suppe und einem Pott Tee aufwärmte, denn es waren gerade mal 3 Grad da oben und beim Fotografieren erfror ich fast. Hier traf ich ein nettes Pärchen aus dem Lake District in England, welche geradewegs in die Richtung wollten, aus der ich gerade kam. Sie waren nicht sehr begeistert, als ich vom Wetter berichtete. Ich empfahl ihnen wärmstens das Hotel, in welchem Gary's Gruppe in Bormio übernachtet hatte. Nach der Pause in Davos ging es auf die Autobahn. Erst durch die Schweiz, dann über die Grenze nach Deutschland und schließlich war ich am frühen Nachmittag wieder wohlbehalten zu Hause angekommen. Es war eine lange und anstrengende Fahrt, aber es hat sich gelohnt. Ich kann es gar nicht erwarten, wieder loszuziehen. Aber jetzt heisst es erstmal wieder: An die Arbeit!
The third photo is my favorite of this set!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful scenery and wonderful architecture in your photos. How often have you needed the extra 2 liters of gas?
ReplyDeleteSonja what a wonderful trip. Settling back into normal is always bittersweet.
ReplyDeleteWow now you really are teasing us. Just stop it!
ReplyDeleteOk go on, just a little more then.
gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! i cant decide which photo i dig the most... such an outstanding landscape (and bike)! i can just imagine the cold, windy, slick roads from the pics, too... phew! simply fabulous sonja, thank you for sharing it with us!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same as Dom - the third pic is my favorite. Must be because of the flowers in it too.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on a long ride home going solo. Unfortunately we need to work to truly enjoy those days off.