Pages

April 05, 2018

Hunger Games - Fastenwandern, ein Selbstversuch


An experiment of sorts: Hiking while fasting. So I had supper at 8pm, and I had to make it last. Went to bed at midnight. There was no breakfast the next morning, just tea, water and juice every couple of hours. By noon I felt a bit peckish but managed to keep it under control by taking in fluids at regular intervals. Then things became a bit more challenging, when I went out for a walk, to steer my thoughts into a different direction, and away from my growling belly.

Am Sonntag gegen 21 Uhr gab es noch einmal ein Abendbrot, das musste jetzt erst mal eine Weile vorhalten. Um Mitternacht ging ich wie üblich ins Bett. Das Frühstück fiel aus, es gab nur Tee, Wasser oder Schorle etwa alle zwei Stunden. Bis Mittag lief es auch ganz gut, den aufkeimenden Hunger konnte ich mit der regelmäßigen Flüssigkeitszufuhr eine Weile unter Kontrolle halten. Am Nachmittag wurde es dann schon schwieriger, und so machte ich mich auf einen Spaziergang, um mich vom Hungergefühl und Magenknurren abzulenken.


Town of Hausach

The trailhead was located above the town of Hausach, and we followed the signs to castle Husen, today only ruins are left, where once the stronghold had protected the silver mines.

Der Wanderweg began oberhalb des Städtchens Hausach und wir folgten zunächst den Schildern zur Burg Husen. Früher zum Schutz der Silberminen erbaut, stehen heute nur noch Ruinen.

Castle Husen - Burgruine Husen

We found a demonstration of charcoal manufacturing. In the early days the charburning trade was popular in the area, although not well paid and respected.

Das Köhlerhandwerk, obwohl nicht gerade beliebt oder gut bezahlt, war in dieser Region im Mittelalter weit verbreitet.



As we continued our trek we came by remnants of an ancient Roman road.

Weiter führte der Weg durch das Gelände. Diesmal stießen wir auf Spuren einer alten Römerstraße.


Next stop was a musical tree, where Roland had to try out all the different wind and percussion instruments. A passing group of mountain bikers almost fell off their bikes, and decided to join the jam session.

Danach kamen wir an einem musikalischen Baum vorbei, an dem Roland unbedingt die verschiedenen Blas- und Schlaginstrumente ausprobieren musste. Eine Gruppe vorbeifahrender Mountainbike-Fahrer fiel fast von Ihren Rädern und machten dann unter großem Gelächter die Jam Session mit.



On we went, further uphill. Until then food wasn't in my thoughts but the last steep stretch up to the peak of the Farrenkopf became a bit of a challenge on an empty stomach.

Und weiter ging's bergauf. Bis dahin hatte ich noch keinen Gedanken an Nahrung verschwendet, aber das letzte Steilstück hinauf zum Farrenkopf wurden auf nüchternen Magen zu einer Herausforderung.



A sign showed us the way to a fountain. Potable water! Perfect.

Unterwegs dann ein Hinweisschild zu einem Brunnen. Trinkwasser. Perfekt!


And finally we had reached our destination and point of return. The Hasemann-Shelter, a hut for thru-hikers, and one of the potential places I would like to overnight one day. Just have a look at it, it's fully equipped with a fire place, a dining area, and upstairs: the bedroom.

Endlich hatten wir dann unser Ziel und Umkehrpunkt erreicht: die Hasemannhütte, eine Wanderhütte für Wanderer auf dem Westweg und einer der Orte, an denen ich gern einmal übernachten würde. Schaut mal, wie gut es hier einrichtet ist: eine Feuerstelle vor dem Haus, ein Esszimmer und im oberen Stockwerk das Schlafzimmer.


We made it! - Wir haben's geschafft!


 And a fireplace with a view - Und eine Feuerstelle mit Aussicht


It started to rain but we were well protected under the roof of the shelter. I fired up my pocket gas stove to boil the water from the well, and had brought along a vegan broth for lunch, and after this it was a chicory instant "coffee" with soy powder, and a real espresso for Roland. Outdoor life can be as luxurious as you like.

Es fing zwar an zu regnen, aber unter dem Dach der Wanderhütte machte uns das gar nichts aus. Ich schmiss den Gaskocher an und brachte das mitgebrachte Brunnenwasser zum Kochen. Für mich gab es dann vegane Brühe und danach einen Muckefuck mit Sojapulver, während Roland sich einen richtigen Espresso machte. Das Outdoor-Leben kann man sich schon luxuriös gestalten.


It was a well deserved break and I felt my strength returning. It was a mere 8km hike back to the trailhead, and it was mostly downhill from here. No sweat! Overall the roundtrip was 17km and the equivalent of 160 floors.

Das war eine wohlverdiente Pause und ich merkte, wie meine Kräfte zurückkehrten. Bis zu unserem Ausgangspunkt waren es nochmal 8km, und das meistens bergab. Das war ein Klacks. Im Ganzen liefen wir 17km und erstiegen das Equivalent von 160 Stockwerken.


14 comments:

  1. You are challenging yourself ... an uphill hike of that distance on an empty tummy. Not sure I could do that. I find after my usual little jaunt of 12k, on my way back ... my thoughts always turn to menu planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so busy with climbing up the hill that I didn't think of food until we got to the hut, Karen. After a while one get used to it but once home I was happy that my challenge was over ;-)

      Delete
  2. 17KM with no food, you're tougher than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fasting is part of a healthy diet, but I wouldn't want to extend it to over 24h, Dom.

      Delete
  3. I used to hike/bike all the time without breakfast and received a lot of flak from others about how unhealthy it was. I guess I have never been hungry in the morning and, even now, have something just because my physician says I have to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Richard. I am not a big breakfast fan in the early morning, and it's often a cereal or nothing. Not sure about the impact to your health. In the early days of mankind people ate when they had something to eat independent which the time of the day.

      Delete
  4. Respekt....17km zu Fuß. Sowas ist bei meinen Knien nicht mehr drin. Ne halbe Stunde gemütlich laufen, oder etwa ne Stunde stehen. Dann is finito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcus, ich mache es, solange ich noch kann. Dafür sieht es im Moment mit dem Moppedfahren einfach nich so toll aus... Wandern gibt mir das Gefühl, das noch was "geht"...

      Delete
  5. Liebe Sonja,
    das ist eine schöne Gegend, in der ihr wohnt. Immer etwas zu entdecken. Kann man in der Hütte übernachten?
    Ich mag, so verfressen ich auch bin, Nüchternläufe sehr gerne. Wenn alles noch so federleicht ist. Ob ich allerdings 17 Kilometer schaffen würde, weiß ich nicht, aber vermutlich eher nicht. Top!
    Viele Grüße,
    Adi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die Hütte steht am Weitwanderweg Westweg, es gibt eine Wasserquelle in der Nähe und eine Feuerstelle. Also wahrscheinlich wäre es geduldet, hier eine Nacht zu campieren.

      Delete
  6. You m'lady are hardcore! To hike that far on an empty stomach. I couldn't do it unless forced to. Was this a self-imposed fast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Brandy. I wanted to know how my body reacts to low food intake while exercising. It was an experiment of sorts but nothing I'd do on a regular basis.

      Delete
  7. I was wondering about your trekking poles as you mentioned the hike downhill home, I see you and Roland both have them. Nice photos, and inspiration! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to admit that they have become quite useful, and I wouldn't want to miss them especially for support on a downhill trail.

      Delete