Pages

June 17, 2018

Westweg Section 1: The first steps are the worst - Westweg Etappe 1: Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Ö

After a good night's sleep at the youth hostel, I woke up early. Too excited to fall back to sleep I get ready for the day, skip breakfast and leave the hostel at 6:30 am. Although still in an urban setting it's quiet and peaceful while I stroll along the river Nagold.

Ich hatte eine erholsame Nacht in der Jugendherberge, bin früh aufgewacht und konnte dann vor Aufregung nicht mehr einschlafen. Also entschließe ich mich, das Frühstück ausfallen zu lassen und verlasse das Hostel um 6:30 Uhr. Obwohl immer noch stadtnah, ist es ruhig und friedlich als ich an der Nagold entlang schlendere.



The trail is well marked at all times, a map is not needed, just follow the red diamond. At the tornado rock, a memorial for a huge tornado happened back in 1968, the way mark tells me that it's another 19.5km to go.

Der Wanderweg ist gut ausgeschildert und so brauche ich keine Karte, ich folge einfach der roten Raute. Am Tornadostein, welcher dem verheerenden Sturm in 1968 gedenkt, informiert mich die Wegmarkierung, dass noch 19,5km vor mir liegen.


After an hour into the trail I am really getting hungry, and find the perfect breakfast spot. I prepare some porridge with raisins, and enjoy the view while sipping on my tea.

Nach einer Stunde verspüre ich so richtig Hunger und finde auch gleich den perfekten Frühstücksplatz. Es gibt Haferflockenbrei mit Rosinen, dann setze ich mich mit einer Tasse Tee hin und genieße den Ausblick.


The hike isn't as easy as it looks, the trail is mostly going uphill, and often on gravel roads. After a while I feel my feet complaining about the surface.

Der Weg ist nicht so einfach wie er aussieht. Eigentlich geht es immer nur bergauf und das meist auf breiten geschotterten "Waldautobahnen". Meine Füße fangen an, sich über den Belag zu beschweren.


At Schwanner Warte, a watch tower currently under restoration I stop for a quick snack and enjoy the view. Every once in a while people look at me and my backpack and assume I am hiking long-distance. I feel the need to explain that I am just a thru-hiker in training.

An der Schwanner Warte, einem Aussichtsturm, der derzeit renoviert wird, halte ich für eine Snackpause an und genieße die schöne Aussicht. Immer wieder werde ich aufgrund des großen Rucksacks gefragt, ob ich zu den Westweg-Wanderern gehöre. Ich erkläre dann, dass ich als Wander-Praktikantin etappenweise unterwegs bin und mich noch lange nicht zu den Langstreckenwanderern zählen kann.


It's sunny and hot, and I am glad for my early start, as well as to carry a full hydration pack of 2l in my backpack.

Es ist sonnig und heiß, ich so bin ich froh, dass ich früh los gegangen bin, und das mit voller Trinkwasserblase (2l).


But actually I don't have to worry about water, soon there will be too much of it. Clouds are building up, the sky is getting overcast, and the air feels muggy. Sudden lightning, than nearby thunder get me running with my heavy load. I am in a clearing, and need shelter, stat. But the forest is in sight and soon I will have some protection from the weather.

Doch es sieht so aus, als wenn ich mir über Wasser keine Gedanken machen muss, bald werde ich mehr als genug davon haben. Der Himmel zieht sich zu, es wird schwül. Plötzlich geht das Gewitter los, es blitzt und donnert und ich laufe so schnell ich kann mit meinem schweren Gepäck weiter. Ausgerechnet jetzt bin ich auf freier Fläche unterwegs, doch der schützende Waldrand ist bald erreicht.


In situations like these you can always count on the Black Forest Hiking club. Several huts and shelters can be found along the trail. Not far away I find such a shelter, the perfect spot to wait out the thunderstorm, and have lunch while doing so. I unpack my cooking gear to prepare some of the dehydrated food I carry along. To my surprise the veggie meal is quite tasty, but maybe that's just my empty stomach talking.

In solchen Situationen kann man sich auf den Schwarzwaldverein verlassen. Überall gibt es Schutzhütten. In der Nähe befindet sich auch so eine, und so lasse ich mich dort häuslich nieder, bis das Schlimmste vorbei ist, packe mein Kochgeschirr aus und bereite eines der mitgeführten dehydrierten Mahlzeiten zu. Zu meiner Überraschung schmeckt dieses vegetarische Gericht gar nicht so übel, aber vielleicht liegt das ja auch am Hunger.


Anyway, the storm has passed while on lunch break, it's still drizzling but otherwise safe to continue my trek. Shortly before arriving in Dobel I pass the Große Volzemer Steine (Big Volzemer Rocks), a natural monument. In the old times they were also called champagne rocks because the bunter (red sandstone) breaks up and pops during extreme temperature changes.

Während der Essenspause ist das Gewitter über mich hinweggezogen, es nieselt zwar noch, aber es ist sicher genug, weiter zu gehen. Ich komme kurz vor Dobel an den Goßen Volzemer Steinen vorbei,  einen Naturdenkmal, dass in alten Zeiten wohl auch mal Champagnersteine genannt wurde, weil der Buntsandstein bei starken Temperaturveränderungen gern mal stiebend auseinander bricht.


A trail angel? - Ein Schutzengel für Wanderer?


I have finally reached the high plains of Dobel. Camping is not an option tonight, continuous severe weather warnings on my app convince me to seek shelter in a brick house.

Endlich habe ich die Hochebene von Dobel erreicht. Ich wollte zwar eigentlich campen, aber die wiederholten Unwetterwarnungen auf meiner App haben mich überzeugt, lieber den Schutz eines Steinhauses aufzusuchen.


I am not the only one with this idea, but after three phone calls I get lucky. It's probably the last room in town at guest house Heidi, and I get a chance to clean and dry my gear and clothing. My right foot had been hurting for a while now, a big blister on my right heel needs attention, too. Not a pretty sight, but a blister patch does the trick, and I am soon free of pain.

Natürlich war ich nicht die Einzige mit dieser Idee, aber nach drei Telefonaten konnte ich das wahrscheinlich letzte Zimmer in Nobel in der Pension Heidi ergattern. So kann ich auch die Gelegenheit nutzen, meine Ausstattung und Kleidung zu reinigen und zu trocknen. Nebenbei tut mein rechter Fuß schon eine Weile weh, eine große Blase an meiner Ferse will versorgt werden. Die sieht gar nicht gut aus, aber mit einem Blasenpflaster bin ich schnell versorgt und wieder frei von Schmerzen.


With nothing else to do, and too tired to socialise with the other guests I watch the sun set from my attic room, and look forward to a good night's rest. But fat chance, instead I spend half the night listing to rolling thunder and heavy rainfall. At 2am I finally fall asleep.

Nachdem alles erledigt ist habe ich nichts mehr weiter vor und bin zu müde, mich noch zu den anderen Wanderern zu gesellen. Also schaue ich von meiner Mansarde aus dem Sonnenuntergang zu und freue mich auf eine erholsame Nacht. Pustekuchen. Stattdessen geht es um 23 Uhr so richtig los, und Gewitter und Starkregen halten mich bis 2 Uhr nachts wach.


***


6 comments:

  1. Bad weather is all part of the hiking experience! It all seems to agree with you though - you're looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Geoff. I was just happy that the gear worked out.

      Delete
  2. Good update SonjaM! I've not had much luck with dehydrated food in or out of the army....I think hunger is the best spice in these cases. Your comment reminded me of times when hunger was the only thing that made eating a particular MRE (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians) possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, the Trek'n'Eat stuff isn't that bad (meaning that Ethiopians would probably be happy to have it...).

      Delete
  3. That IS the perfect spot for breakfast. I LOVE Love Love the Trail Angel. Luck you happened across the hut when you did. I’m happy you were able to secure a room for the night.

    I’m catching up on posts here. I’ve missed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trail magic happens all the time, a nice view, a water source or a shelter seems to come along just when you need it. Glad to have you tag along again, Kathy.

      Delete