I found another time slot to put in a couple of more sections of the Westweg. In order to get an early start Roland found a lovely little hotel in Forbach. My hubby (and supportive trail manager) leaves me to my own devices after breakfast.
Schon bald habe ich wieder ein paar Tage frei, um zwei weitere Etappen des Westwegs zu bezwingen. Damit es morgens schon früh los gehen kann, organisiert Roland ein nettes Hotel in Forbach. Mein Gatte (und Wegbereiter) lässt mich also nach dem gemeinsamen Frühstück alleine losziehen.
The Murg River Valley gate marks the next leg of my trek. It's 9 p.m., sunny and no more than 13°C, which makes it perfect hiking weather.
Das Murgtaltor lädt zur Etappe Nummer Drei ein. Es ist 9 Uhr, die Sonne scheint und es hat noch angenehme 13°C, beste Temperaturen zum Wandern.
Again I cross the landmark of Forbach, the wooden bridge, and cross the village, climb a steep lane uphill, and pass the chapel of Mary's Help (Maria Hilf). I hear a choir singing which I find a bit unusual for an early Saturday morning activity, but maybe they are rehearsing for Sunday.
Ich überquere wieder das Wahrzeichen von Forbach, die hölzerne Brücke, durchquere das Städtchen und mache mich an den steilen Anstieg Richtung der Maria Hilf Kapelle. Dort höre ich Chorgesang, was ich für einen Samstag morgen recht ungewöhnlich finde, aber vielleicht üben die ja für Sonntag.
Over the next few kilometres I conquer over 500 meters in elevation. I'm out of breath, and my calves are screaming for help, by the time I reach the Wegscheid shelter, but I bravely continue my trek.
Über die nächsten paar Kilometer geht es etwa 500 Höhenmeter hinauf. Als ich an der Wegscheid Hütte vorbei komme, bin ich völlig außer Atem und meine Waden schreien um Hilfe, aber ich laufe tapfer weiter.
![]() |
| source |
I can use the now easier stretch of the trail for recovery. And while I am refreshing myself at a fountain, another section hiker passes by, says hi and moves on. I meet him again at Schwarzenbach reservoir as we both find ourselves enjoying the vista. We get acquainted, chat for a bit and agree to continue the next piece of the trek together. It works out quite well as we both walk at the same pace, and we keep motivating each other on the more difficult stretches.
Während eines einfacheren Streckenabschnitts kann ich mich wieder etwas erholen. Ein Wanderer überholt mich, als ich an einem Brunnen halt mache, sagt hallo und läuft vorbei. Am Ausblick über die Schwarzbach-Talsperre treffe ich ihn dann wieder. Wir genießen die schöne Aussicht, kommen ins Gespräch und beschließen, eine Weile miteinander zu wandern. Da wir mit der gleichen Geschwindigkeit unterwegs sind, funktioniert da ganz gut und wir sorgen an den schwierigen Passagen gegenseitig für aufmunternde Worte.
The hiker's hut at the reservoir outlook also offers a fresh water fountain.
An der Wanderhütte am Aussichtspunkt gibt es sogar einen Frischwasserbrunnen.
A memorial for Philip Bussemer, one of the pioneers of the Westweg. He also was one of the initiators of building these watch towers. On Baden Heights at 1002m we conquer the first of ten 1000+ meters high mountains while hiking the Westweg.
Das Denkmal für Philip Bussemer, einem der Westweg-Pioniere. Er hat auch am Bau des Friedrichstums mitgewirkt. Auf der Badener Höhe haben wir den ersten von zehn Eintausendern auf dem Westweg erobert.
Friedrich tower, built in 1891, was indeed erected for the just purpose of being able to enjoy the view.
Der Friedrichsturm, errichtet 1891, war tatsächlich einzig als Aussichtsturm errichtet worden.
Vegetation changes up here, just shrubs and weeds, and less trees, and a lovely single trail leads through the nature reserve while I check my second 1k peak, Hochkopf at 1036m.
Der Bewuchs hier oben ist völlig anders, nur Büsche und Gräser und weniger Bäume. Ein kleiner Pfad führt durch das heutige Naturschutzgebiet. Und schon habe ich den zweiten Eintausender in der Tasche: den Hochkopf mit 1036m.
In the far I can already make out the next one on the list of ten thousand peaks, which I will cross the next day: Hornisgrinde.
Und in der Ferne kann ich schon die Hornisgrinde sehen, der dritte im Bunde der zehn Tausender.
But for now I find refuge at Hohe Tanne, a small inn with a handful of rooms (some of them have shared bathrooms), and a popular hiker's and biker's stop in Unterstmatt. Dinner consists of a home fries based veggie meal and I get to wash it down with two rosé spritzers. With this I am all set for a good night's sleep.
In Unterstmatt in der Hohen Tanne, einer gemütlichen Wander-Unterkunft mit einer Handvoll Zimmer (manche davon mit gemeinsamem Bad) gibt es noch ein freies Zimmer, dass ich mir direkt unter den Nagel reiße. Hier ist eine Menge los, denn dieser Ort ist ein beliebter Treffpunkt für Wanderer, Radfahrer und Motorradfahrer. Zum Abendessen genehmige ich mir ein vegetarisches Bratkartoffel-Gericht und spüle es mit zwei Rosé Schorlen hinunter. Das gibt mir dann die nötige Bettschwere.
PS: My legs are still complaining about the climb but I chose to ignore them.
Übrigens, meine Beine beschweren sich immer noch über den Anstieg, aber das ignoriere ich geflissentlich.

This is just great Sonja. It's what a blog should be - gives a great insight to readers about other parts of the world. Thoroughly enjoying it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Geoff, this is why I also enjoy blogs from other part of our beautiful planet.
DeleteBeautiful views! I am very impressed with your hiking. You have much more physical stamina than I would. Thanks for letting us travel along.
ReplyDeletePhysical stamina... not really but I am continuously working on it. I'd like to be able to hike several days or weeks at one point but I am not there yet.
DeleteWhat Geoff said! It still seems strange to me to have a hike with all of these town along the way.
ReplyDeleteGermany is a densely populated country, Richard, and I consider these hiking trails already remote... given by our standards. Not comparable to US or Canada though.
DeleteCool pics SonjaM....perhaps a little vitamin I (Ibuprofen) to alleviate the pains...? ;)
ReplyDeleteIbuprofen, Magnesium, Calcium... it's part of my first aid kit, Dom.
Delete