Pages

October 25, 2009

Dear Santa...

I am currently looking into taking an evolutionary step forward (bike-wise), and adding another model to my fleet swapping my little red Hawk next year for an Enduro cross-over travel bike with some off-road capabilities. I was always fond of the Honda Transalp.
But unfortunately this bike isn't available in Canada, and since the BMW F800GS is kind of beyond my current budget capabilities, the next best things I came across was the Suzuki V-Strom and the Kawa Versys. I had the opportunity to check out all models, here's my findings:
BMW F800GS
Pros: Rock solid technology, quality and finish. It's a BMW (and I am German), need I say more?
Cons: Expensive, too high seating position even with a 'Lady' seat

Suzuki V-Strom
Pros: Powerful engine, easy handling, good wind protection, lots of aftermarket farkles available
Cons: Outdated looks, heavy

Kawasaki Versys
Pros: Lowest price, pleasing design (must be a girl thing), lightweight, good handling and seating position
Cons: Gear shifting is a little whacky, no ABS version available in Canada

4 comments:

  1. SonjaM:

    You're right about lack of choices for a vertically challenged rider. They are all too tall. How about a used F650GS ? there are some excellent buys out there. If you look on the forums there are some "problems" with the new F800.

    I also looked at the Versys but in the end, settled for the great looking SUV of bikes, the mighty V-strom DL650 which I just love. But it is heavy and tall but has ABS

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The F650 is a thumper, and just I love twin cylinder machines, but maybe that could be an option, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SonjaM:

    Only the older F650gs models are singles. the newer generation are TWINS, thus have more power too. And I like twins better than four's too

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff, I wasn't aware that BMW started building the F650 with a twin motor from 2008 on (I was obviously looking at older ones...)

    ReplyDelete