A good breakfast is always a good start into the day. I had several choices of jam for my gluten free bread, soy powder for the coffee, then I also raided the fruit platters. I was in no hurry, because it was cold and gray and drizzling anyway. Shortly after 10 am I was on my way and meandered along forest tracks towards Dabo.
| Wet roads |
| A town named Great Soldier |
The wet and slippery and partly dirty roads had me travel at an average speed of 50 km/h. Despite the weather, I thought paying a visit to Rocher de Dabo was in order. Here, at an elevation of 664 meters a small chapel sits on a sandstone rock. On top of the hill I met two nice regional motorcyclists, with whom I chatted about trips and bikes and weather. While at it, the gale was blowing hard in our face and the rain beat relentlessly on our helmets. We were all getting cold, and said our goodbyes and I continued my journey.
| It was about time for hi-viz. |
| At Rocher de Dabo |
But eventually I had enough of the wet stuff, and opted for the trunk road to Nancy. It was a bit boring but reasonably safe. I arrived in Nancy around 3pm and needed to refill the nearly empty tank at a 24/7 gas station in order for me to start traveling without having to bother about it in the morning. There was a petrol station close to the hotel, alas the machine did not accept my bank cards. So I talked to the guy waiting in line, explained the situation, gave him ten Euro and kindly asked him to use his card instead so that we could get going. Said and done, the bike was full again and all was well with the world. Merci beaucoup, monsieur!
I stayed at the Hotel Mercure near the Unesco World Heritage Place Stanislas, checked in quickly and finally got rid of my dripping armor. After enjoying a long, hot shower I made myself a cup of tea. Now I was warmed up again on the outside and on the inside.
| Stanislav |
Meanwhile it had actually stopped raining, so I decided to play ordinary tourist, visited the famous square and took tons of pictures. Around 5 pm I was back at the hotel and about to prepare a second cup of tea, when I heard a deep rumble from ten blocks away... A thunderstorm heading in? No! Down the road came seven fat Harley Davidson motorcycles and stopped right in front of the hotel. I was curious and hurried into the foyer.
In fact, it was my friend Gary on his bike The Leading Ladies, the very motorcycle he had taken across the US of A, and his Tour1 guests, Kay and John, a couple from England, four Irish gents namely Tom, Collum, Fenan and Jack, and Gary's wingman Oliver on their way down to the European Bike Week at Faaker See in Austria. Gary had been kind enough to offer me a free spot on his tour a few weeks ago, and I had jumped at the opportunity. So, for the next two days I would be traveling with the party.
The group did not waste any time checking in and freshening up, but ordered the first rounds of beer instantly (espresso for me). After a few more rounds we agreed to meet at half past seven in the evening for dinner at Restaurant Le Bacchus, offering regional French cuisine. Needless to say that we were fed and watered excellently. The later the hour was, the juicier the stories got, a very familiar side effect of alcohol consumption. I promised that I wouldn't be repeating any of this on my blog, as most of it was strictly X-rated.
At 10 pm we gathered at Place Stanislas, to attend the Rendez-Vous light show, projected on the heritage buildings. It was a feast for eyes and ears. But the Irish lads had more important stuff to do, they had already moved on to an Irish Pub which they had spotted earlier. The rest of the group followed them after the show and together we celebrated yet again that stars had aligned in the most perfect way.
![]() |
| The road to Nancy - 210km |
***
Wetter, Wald und Weltkulturerbe
Nach einem reichhaltigen Frühstück machte ich mich reisefertig. Ich hatte keine Eile, denn es war kalt und grau und nieselte. Um 10 Uhr sattelte ich dann doch meine Sporty und nahm ein paar Routes Forrestiers in Richtung Dabo unter die Räder. Die nassen Straßen sorgten dafür, dass ich mit einer Durchschnittsgeschwindigkeit von ca. 50 km/h unterwegs war. Dennoch hielt mich das nicht davon ab, dem Rocher de Dabo einen Besuch abzustatten. Auf 664m thront dort eine kleine Kapelle, die von weitem zu sehen ist. Dort traf ich zwei nette Motorradfahrer aus der Region, mit denen ich mich über Ausflüge, Moppeds und das Wetter unterhielt, während uns der Wind um die Nase fegte und der Regen unermüdlich auf die Helme prasselte. Nun wurde mir das Wetter aber doch zu viel, ich verabschiedete mich und ich setzte mich auf die Schnellstraße Richtung Nancy.
Dort wollte ich den fast leeren Tank an einer 24/7 Tankstelle nachfüllen, um am folgenden Tag wieder reisebereit zu sein, doch die Säule nahm keine meiner Bankkarten an. So sprach ich einen hinter mir wartenden Herrn an, drückte ihm zehn Euro in die Hand und bat ihn, seine Karte zu benutzen. Gesagt, getan, die Sporty wurde gefüttert und alles war gut. Im Hotel Mercure in der Nähe des Unesco Welterbe Place Stanislas entledigte ich mich der tropfenden Rüstung und genoss erst einmal eine lange, heiße Dusche und machte mir eine Tasse Tee auf dem Zimmer.
Inzwischen war es (mal) trocken und so spielte ich Tourist und besuchte den berühmten Platz. Gegen 17 Uhr war ich zurück im Hotel und wollte mir gerade eine zweite Tasse Tee zubereiten, als ich ein Donnergrollen vernahm... Um die Ecke kamen sieben fette Harley Davidson Motorräder und hielten vor dem Hotel. Ich war neugierig und eilte ins Foyer. Es waren in der Tat mein Freund Gary und seine Tour1 Gäste! Es gab ein großes Hallo. Gary hatte mir vor ein paar Wochen einen freien Platz in seiner Tour angeboten und ich würde die Reisegruppe nun für die nächsten zwei Tage begleiten.
Man hielt sich nicht lange mit Einchecken und Frischmachen auf, stattdessen wurden sofort die ersten Runden Bier bestellt (Espresso für mich). Wir verabredeten uns dann für halb acht abends zum Abendessen im Restaurant Le Bacchus und wurden dort hervorragend beköstigt. Je später der Abend, desto schlüpfriger wurden die Geschichten der irischen Moppedfahrer... alkoholische Nebenwirkungen. Um 22 Uhr versammelten wir uns am Place Stanislas, um dem Rendez-Vous Lichtspektakel beizuwohnen, es wurde ein Augen- und Ohrenschmaus. Die Iren zogen schon einmal weiter, ausgerechnet (!) in einen irischen Pub. Wir folgten ihnen nach der Show und ließen den Abend dann gesellig ausklingen.


Well I enjoy a good pint as much as the next guy, if given a chance to see the show I would have gone to the show. There is always an Irish pub.
ReplyDeleteWell, there is always beer o'clock for somebody ;-)
DeleteSounds like a great meetup and time with the legendary Gary France! I'm quite envious.
ReplyDeleteCharlie, I seem to run into him every so often. Last time it was at the Ace Cafe in London. Europe is a small world ;-)
DeleteWhat an opportunity! Though some less damp weather would be nice.
ReplyDeleteI so agree, Richard. Too much of the wet stuff on this trip to be had.
DeleteMeeting up with Gary and the gang must have been great! Riding out with a bunch of other Harleys, awesome!
ReplyDeleteDavid, I was very lucky that Gary had an opening spot in his Tour, and I could get the time off. Great times.
DeleteWith all your rain it sounds as though you are paying for those sunny beautiful winter and spring days.
ReplyDeleteVery cool that you got to ride with Gary for a few days.
Brandy, it very much looks like it. Unfortunately we had to play the weather we were dealt during the days.
Delete