The weatherman had promised balmy temperatures for today (factually it was no more than +7°C equaling 45!F). Anyway, I thought I'd take my chances to pick up the bike from my trusted mechanic. After tea and chitchat I bundled up, and left the workshop for the inaugural ride in 2016 on Rover, my fully serviced and technically (DEKRA) approved 2008 Harley Davidson Sportster 883. Mechanically the bike is in shipshape again, the only thing it needed - besides the obligatory two year vehicle approval sticker - was a new battery, so the bill turned out reasonably low.
The first miles on the bike felt awkward to say the least. I have not been on motorised two-wheels for almost three months now. Due to lack of appropriate weather, time and opportunity my last ride was running errands by Vespa on Christmas Eve, and I stopped riding the Sportster even sooner some time in November when the insurance ran out.
I made sure to manoeuvre carefully as there were still some icy patches luring in the shadows, and the cagers' abilities to recognise motorcycles as other road users were in lack of better words: underdeveloped. On the road I encountered a handful of other chilled-through-the-bone looking riders obviously having listened to the same weatherman, and testing the waters. The waving was mutually enthusiastic. The Sportster seemed glad to be on the move again, however, to my own surprise my first seasonal ride left me a bit inane.
After my epic trip through Eastern Canada, I found myself both, satisfied and satiated for a while, and then: yearning for more. You may well say: then just go, and and yes, you are right. Because I have some of the best roads of Europe conveniently laid out at my door step: the Vosges in France, Switzerland and the Alps, with hill and mountain twisties galore. But for me these options come along with a feeling of: been there done that. I don't aspire to repetition. And I have been all over the parts of Europe that tickled my interest, multiple times in fact, and more than often enough in my first motorcycle life in the nineties. Don't get me wrong, I don't say it's boring, I'd just like to express, that I crave for something different.
One of the main reasons bothering me about riding in Europe is the amount of other road users present at all times, while I desire solitude. Something you don't get that much in Europe. I miss the promise of the wide open road, the imagination that the very stretch of blacktop that I am riding on - for a moment - belongs to me, and me alone. In this regard I miss Canada, no let's make that North America. The hint of adventure, the excitement in the eye of the unexpected, the unplanned. The not-knowing where one might end up for the night. Just thinking about it makes my heart beat faster (that or I just got a case of hypertension).
Born and bred in Northern Germany, and likely endowed with a fair amount seafarer blood in my veins, maybe that's a viable explanation: I can't do anything against it. It's simply in my genes. So, let's wait and see where my wanderlust will take me this year...
***
Neuanfang
Die Wettervorhersage war viel versprechend. Es sollten sogar um die 11 Grad werden, aber mehr als 7°C wurden es dann doch irgendwie nicht. Ich nutzte die Gelegenheit trotzdem und fuhr zur Werkstatt, um mein Mopped abzuholen. Nach einer Tasse Tee und nettem Geplänkel wickelte ich mich warm ein und startete in meine erste Ausfahrt der Saison auf Rover, meiner 2008 Harley Davidson Sportster 883. Das Bike ist nun wieder in Hochform und war blitzblank geputzt (danke, Max). Außer einer Inspektion, neuer Batterie und dem obligatorischen TÜV, bzw. DEKRA Aufkleber hatte Rover nichts gebraucht, und daher hielt sich auch die Abrechnung in Grenzen.
Die ersten Kilometer fuhren sich irgendwie komisch. Seit fast drei Monaten war ich nicht mehr auf motorisierten Zweirädern unterwegs gewesen, zuletzt auf der Vespa am Heiligabend, und irgendwann im November war der letzte Ritt auf der Sporty, denn mein Rover ist ja ein Bruchstrich-Fahrzeug. Daher fuhr ich übervorsichtig, sowohl, weil gerade im Schatten noch Glatteis lauern konnte als auch, weil andere Verkehrsteilnehmer um diese Jahreszeit, sagen wir mal, eine noch unterentwickelte Wahrnehmung bezüglich Zweirädern besaßen. Unterwegs begegnete ich einer Handvoll anderer verfroren aussehender Motorradfahrer, die wohl derselben Wettervorhersage Glauben geschenkt hatten und meinten, es mal probieren zu müssen. Es wurde enthusiastisch gegrüßt und zurück gewunken. Die Sportster machte den Eindruck, als wenn sie glücklich war, wieder auf der Straße zu sein. Mich ließ der kurze Ausflug allerdings etwas unbefriedigt, quasi mit fadem Beigeschmack, zurück.
Nach meiner großartigen Reise durch Ostkanada im letzten September war ich sowohl zufrieden als auch satt... für eine Weile. Dann wollte ich mehr. Ihr könntet jetzt sagen, na dann fahr' doch. Und Ihr habt Recht, denn einige der besten Straßen Europas liegen bequem erreichbar vor meiner Tür, die Vogesen in Frankreich, die Alpen der Schweiz im Süden, mit unendlich vielen Kurven über Hügel und durch die Berge. Aber für mich heißt das nur mehr vom gleichen. Da war ich schon (mehrfach), das brauche ich nicht unbedingt noch einmal. Ich war halt schon oft in den Ecken Europas, die mich interessieren - schon in meinem ersten Mopped-Leben in den Neunzigern - und Wiederholung macht es nicht schöner für mich. Versteht mich bitte nicht falsch, ich sage nicht, dass es langweilig wäre, ich möchte damit nur ausdrücken, dass ich etwas anderes für mich will.
Eines der Nachteile an Motorrad-Reisen in Europa sehe ich in dem vergleichsweise hohen Verkehrsaufkommen. Überall ist schon jemand auf zwei oder mehr Rädern da. Man ist nie wirklich allein, und das fehlt mir oft, seit ich aus Kanada weg bin. Ich stelle mir dann die langen, weiten Highways Nordamerikas vor, auf denen ich stundenlang einsam unterwegs bin, begleitet nur vom Kitzel des Abenteuers, der unterschwelligen Aufregung, die mit dem Auf-sich-gestellt-sein daher kommt, auf Augenhöhe mit dem Unerwarteten, dem Ungeplanten. Für eine Weile gehört diese Straße nur mir allein und nur sie weiß, wo ich nachts schlafen werde. Klingt pathetisch? Egal, allein der Gedanke lässt mein Herz schneller schlagen (entweder das, oder ich leide gerade unter Bluthochdruck.).
Als Fischkopp, geboren im hohen Norden der Republik, habe ich wahrscheinlich eine gehörige Portion an Seefahrerblut in den Adern. Vielleicht ist das die Erklärung für meine Sehnsucht nach Weite und Endlosigkeit, und ich kann gar nichts dafür: es liegt in den Genen. Wir werden sehen, wohin mich die Reiselust in diesem Jahr verschlagen wird...
Sonja, you need a pensioner blanket for that Harley :)
ReplyDeleteWith that adventurous spirit I'm surprised that a go-anywhere dual sport isn't whistling your name, no?
David, I am not going to spoil the looks of my Sportster with a pensioner blanket, I'd rather freeze to death ;-). My wandering spirit isn't necessarily bound by a certain type or brand of motorcycle. As long as it has two wheels... nowadays it might even include the pedal powered kind...
DeleteI was going to go out for a "run" today but ended up on a "I wish I never started" farkelisation job! The weather here was pretty good today...
ReplyDeleteWhat have you tried to accomplish, Nick? Here it was or felt much colder than forecasted.
DeleteA head light guard and a clever GPS tracking device....required removing 150 screws....
DeleteI hear you. I just rode up to the Canadian border and it was sooo cold. 24-degrees and with very few places to stop and warm up. The empty spaces here offer solitude but no refuge for cold riders. I've never ridden in Europe: I hear car-drivers there are more accommodating to motorcycles.
ReplyDeleteHi Allie, indeed most four-wheelers seem quite considerate when it comes to bikes. Still you'll get the SMIDSY effect (sorry, mate I didn't see you).
DeleteIn the spirit of David Masse's comment: What about dirt biking? Does your neck of the woods have trails that accommodate the sport?
ReplyDeleteI don't know how much such experience you might have (short of your brief muddy road adventure in Canada and your earlier wander by scoot), but dirt biking or dual-sporting might offer a rewarding skills challenge and provide more of the solitude you desire.
Ry, I had a brief period of dual-sporting when I was in Canada and still had my BMW F650 GS Here in Germany most forest tracks and trails around are VERBOTEN for motorised vehicles, so it would not be that easy to escape into solitude. However, these are the trails I usually ride when on my mountain bike.
DeleteIn gewisser Weise geht es mir manchmal ähnlich wie Dir. Mich zieht es immer wieder in meine norddeutsche Heimat. So oft denke ich mir, was willst du denn dort, du hast dort alles gesehen. Mindestens ein Mal. Dennoch fahre ich dann gerne wieder hin. Vielleicht ist es so etwas, da sind Orte, die man schön findet, an denen man gerne war und man möchte das Gefühl wieder haben.
ReplyDeleteGenau Minya, und Mopped-Fahren hat ja sowieso eine Menge mit Emotionen zu tun ;-)
DeleteHallo Sonja,
ReplyDeleteauch bei mir haben am Wochenende die Armeisen in der Hose gesiegt. Es kann jetzt wirklich nicht mehr lange dauern bis der Frühling beginnt. Auf den Wiesen und Teichen in der Oberpfalz waren überall schon die Schwäne.
Gruss aus R,
Tom
Hab' ich gesehen, Tom. So langsam kommen alle wieder aus ihren Löchern.
DeleteI can empathize about the "been there, done that" feeling SonjaM. I am trying to see familiar sights with "new eyes" now, and I am sure you'll find your way....
ReplyDeleteYour comment about seeking solitude reminded me how very seldom I was truly alone while Uraling in the Alps this past summer. At the time, I found it somewhat comforting, as I was on a rental rig in a foreign country away from my usual support channels.
Still, now back in North America, I do prefer being able to feel the solitude pretty easily.
Dom, I have indeed places that I regular revisit with "new eyes". But sometimes I just crave new input. And you won't get the kind of solitude in Germany, it's just too crowded. However, you are right, at times I am absolutely fine with not being alone ;-)
DeleteDu, bzw. ihr könntet doch wieder nach Kanada auswandern ... was Angesichts der politischen Stimmung in D. nicht das Schlechteste wäre. Allerdings ist Kanada zu nah an Amerika dran ... hmmm ... Und außerdem würdest du mir fehlen.
ReplyDeleteIch kann dich gut verstehen, dass dir die Strecken langweilig geworden sind, so geht es mir nämlich auch immer. Allein schon der Weg raus aus dem Speckgürtel ist immer schon ein Angang.
Funny, wenn's so einfach wäre ;-) Der Wahlausgang ist wirklich zum Auswandern, aber mit Mr Drumpf dort drüben sieht es im Moment auch eher gruselig aus...
DeleteIch denke, wenn das Wetter erstmal wärmer wird, ergeben sich die Möglichkeiten von ganz alleine, auch wenn es kein einsamer Highway sein wird... Ich denke es wäre schon schön, mal wieder 'raus zu kommen.
Glad you managed to get Rover home, even if it was a little chilly. I haven't been out on mine yet this year. I will if it ever stops raining.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize Rover was an 883, for some reason we were thinking the other day it was a 1200.
I wouldn't mind the rain... as long as it isn't frozen for a change, Brandy. Indeed my Sporty is a tiny one. But for me it is the biggest engine I have ever had (so far...).
Delete