Between showers at Alouette Lake
While scootering around in the park we got lucky, and didn't have water from above for a while, so we took the gravel road to Gold Creek Campground.The Vespa's did awesomely good on the gravel road. It never ceases to amaze us how versatile those lil' scooters are. Carefully we circumvented the water filled pot holes, not knowing how deep they would be.
What looks like a river is the Gold Creek. The wooden bridge is a bit slippery from precipitation but we crossed it without incident.
For the movie buffs among you, the bridge over Gold Creek is also known as another Rambo - First Blood filming location. This is were the base camp was set up.
Screen shot taken from First Blood
It started drizzling when we left the park, and suddenly burst into a torrential hailstorm, so badly that we had to stop, until the worst was over.We were completely soaked through when we arrived back home. But it was well worth it.
With mind cleared from the week's work and worries, we dried up wrapped in a blanket with a steaming cup of tea in front of the fireplace.
There is a reason why motorcyclists don't need a shrink...

I love your Vespa adventures! It seems you two have a really good time on the two Italians. Weather looks awful, though ... but that might be just the soft Californian in me.
ReplyDelete@Guido: No, you are right, the weather was awful. It was fun nevertheless, and a good experience for future endeavours.
ReplyDeleteSpectacular photos despite/because of the rain. Too bad you couldn't get those low hanging clouds without the rain (ha, ha).
ReplyDeleteKudos for you to for venturing out in the rain. I'm still a rain weenie on the bike. If I get caught in the rain, fine, but I don't set out in it usually.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures. Love the one of the solitary tree.
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteYour Italian stallions are very photogenic under overcast skies. You are much braver than moi . I'm sticking with Trobairitz.
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
@VStar Lady: Yeah, I guess the rain was the trade off for the attractive looking overcast skies ;-)
ReplyDelete@Trobairitz: Well, not my favourite setting either, but what can you do, if the weather doesn't change, you gotta change the attitude, and I really needed the fresh air after five days in airports, hotels and meeting rooms.
@bobskoot: Thanks Bob, I am not braver, just less careful ;-) Hope your foot is getting better again, after all the chores you should not have done in the first place, ts ts...
There is some remarkable photography on here Sonja. I don't know how much you plan it, but it comes out very natural and pleasing. The Vespas in the clouds photo makes me very happy. I hope you don't mind if I keep a copy. I won't make any money with it, I promise.
ReplyDeleteBrady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
@Brady: Thank you, there is not much planning or arrangement in the make, just point and shoot, really. Please feel free to use the picture, just if you do so publicly kindly refer back to my blog. Thanks again for your interest.
ReplyDeleteI to am enjoying your Vespa experince, and some real adventures going on . Kind of makes me want to go and buy one.
ReplyDelete@Raftnn: It's certainly a different way and philosophy of riding, but the slow pace makes you see and appreciate things in more detail. Learned this from Steve Williams (a.k.a. Scooter in the Sticks http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/).
ReplyDeleteSonja:
ReplyDeleteYou guys are obviously having so much fun and not letting a drop of H2O dampen your enthusiasm!
That second photo is absolutely magnificent - really moody!
@Geoff: Thank you. I try not to let the weather come between me and my riding ;-)
ReplyDeleteBoy, your photos just epitomizes the PNW right now. Mist lowering in the mountains, and rain slicked roads. Wonderful ride report and photos. Why is it we long for warm sunny rides, yet these misty, wet rides seem to be the memorable ones.
ReplyDeleteI can do without hail! Hopefully it was short lived. A perfect ending though, snuggled in blankets by the fire and something warm to drink!
Almost forgot...love the Vespas on the Rambo bridge. Great shot!
How much fun it must be to be sharing the road with your Sweetie!
ReplyDeleteI echo the comments on the photos being wonderful. I think what comes through the most for me is your delight in riding. It is difficult not to have a good time reading your blog when it seems you had such a good time having the experience you're describing.
Ride on!
~k
@bluekat: That's why we love the coast, right? Although I certainly don't mind sunny weather and blue skies ;-)
ReplyDelete@Circle Blue: Thanks, Keith. Yes, it doubles the fun now that I can take my better half along, and he seems to enjoy the moderate pace of scootering as well. I am lucky!
The low hanging clouds do add a lot of drama to the shot. When I first glanced at the bridge shot, my first thought was what an odd windshield before realizing that it was a sign.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering how the smaller diameter wheels did on gravel.
Perhaps one should wear a life jacket under their motorcycle gear. Does a Vespa float?
ReplyDelete@RichardM: I love the clouds although they always carry what we rider's don't like too much. Windshield, actually you got me thinking. I guess I want to get a short one for the Vespa's.
ReplyDelete@irondad: Of course a Vespa floats, what do you think ;-) A personal floating device would ideed have come in handy under these weather conditions...
I love riding in the rain but we haven't had any for months. You have to have the right clothing but there's nothing quite as satisfying as a wet ride done well.
ReplyDeleteThe bad weather made for good pictures. Great pictures of the Vespa's on the bridge and on the side of the road. This kind of weather brings out the rich colors of the bikes. Thanks for the shot from First Blood, brings back memories.
ReplyDelete@Conchscooter: Michael, you are right, as weird as it sounds but overcoming bad weather feels like having accomplished something.
ReplyDelete@George F: Thanks for the feedback, I am also surprised how colourful the scooters look under these conditions.
Gorgeous photography. Love the image of the two Vespa's on the bridge. Tickled my fancy and made me smile. :)
ReplyDelete