One of the most daring motorcycle stunts in movie history is for sure Steve Mcqueen's escape on a motorcycle and stuntman Bud Ekins' famous jump over the fence in The Great Escape. I particularly like that movie, not only because of its famous cast, but also for its (M.A.S.H. like) humor, and the fact that the German military for once were not depicted as all stupid (if they only had been the horrible war might in fact have been much shorter...)
It was only today that I learned that the supposed German war bike wasn't a BMW but actually a Triumph TT Special 650. And how the heck did I come across this information? I spent too much time on the internet online browsing the Triumph Website, you-tubing for related vids, and googling for pics. I can't help it, I like those British Retro-bikes: the Scrambler, the Bonneville, the Thruxton, and the Speedmaster, too. They make my heart beat faster...


SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI always thought that Steve McQueen rode a BSA ?
bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin
Mcqueen's classic bike collection consisted of > 100 motorcycles (Picture me green with envy...) The BSA must have been his choice for a dirt bike.
ReplyDeleteI downloaded and watched The Great Escape only last week, I never noticed is was not a BMW either, I was too busy lining the jump up in my head....C'mon Steve, more revs, you can do it!! lol....
ReplyDelete