Back in Europe the Italian brand Moto Guzzi is legendary. But like Harleys those motorcycles were usually totally overpriced, unnecessarily heavy and high maintenance. If you wanted to do mileage, a rice burner or a Beemer would have been your natural choice, if you'd rather be a wrench monkey, fine, have at it, buy a Guzzi. Times have changed, and so has technology, and so it happened that the Breva V750, which I discovered at our local motorcycle dealer yesterday, caught my attention.
My initial response to this nimble middleweight street bike was, that everything felt right about it, the weight, the balance, pegs in a perfect position, and even for the vertically challenged there was no need for ergonomic adjustments. This bike fits me like a glove. It has a shaft drive, which I personally prefer over chain anyway. Give it a windshield, engine guards and panniers, and it becomes the perfect touring bike for a quite reasonable price that is. This will certainly give me more to think about over the winter.

Of course a Honda Deauville (NT700) has bags weather protection and a dealer network as well. And legendary reliability. I love Guzzis but I ride too much to trust one without dealers to back it up.I have 33,500 miles on my 2007 Bonneville (with bags and windshield) and the chain, to my astonishment, is like new. I used to hate chains too, but new o-rings with a Loobman oiler work amazingly well.
ReplyDeleteHello Mr C.
ReplyDeleteYou bet, but Lady Deauville is probably about 100lbs heavier... I would love to try out the Bonnie as well. She's also very high on my priority list. But for now this thing called money (or not having enough of it) is clearly in the way of my investment plans...
I love that naked, minimalist look about it. Reminds me of my old Suzuki SV650, which I transformed in a neat little tourer. Huge fun factor. I'm adding this bike to my list of research fun during the too long winter. Nice post!
ReplyDelete