In my heydays of touring across Western Europe I was not only one female biker in a group of testosterone driven male riders, I was also the only one hopping along on a little 500cc thumper with a small tank, while everybody around me rode a big machine. Often I felt quite exotic with my kick starter, too. My gear was mostly oversized guy stuff. I didn't have a heated vest or gloves, and I was often saddle sore, cold and dead tired at the end of a riding day. (Nothing that couldn't be fixed by good food and a glas of wine.)
So why the heck all the 'suffering'?
I guess 'cause it is fun! I am neither a rebel nor in need of emancipation, I cannot offer any socio-cultural or economic reason, I don't ride out of symbolism or to oppose authorities. Maybe it is the exposure to the elements, and the satisfaction that I can DO IT. Motorcycling has always been more than just some means of transportation. Like sailing or canoeing it is an aesthetic form of movement, isn't it?
Musings aside, this is the best explanation I have to offer:

SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI like the analogy of the wild west over a hundred years ago when the only mode of transport was by horse, wagon train or walking. I think of the m/c as my horse which is able to take me anywhere I want to go. Me and my horse as ONE .
I have always wanted to do what others can't or won't. Many have the dream of riding a motorcycle but they are at the age where that is not always possible. They can only sit and dream of what could have been, if only . . .
In the meantime we will ride with our face to the wind.
bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin
Well said!
ReplyDelete