Pages

November 21, 2009

All Work and No Play

In August I rejoined the biker community, and my riding statistics show about 1,000km on the SWing and approx. 600km on the Hawk. Well, it's not much really, but it's a start. To justify the low milage I must say that I had a lot of 'life stuff' coming in the way. Also, I had been a tad bit intimidated by the local traffic, which is killing you - literally! Then there was the lack of (mail ordered) gear, and that of a suitable riding partner, too.
In September I was (happily) preoccupied by family members visiting, but confined to driving them around in a cage, plus I started job hunting... finally.
October, too soon for the season, was mostly covered in snow. Nevertheless I've had some good interviews, that actually resulted in a couple of job offers.
In November I started working, and my new found occupation doesn't allow me to commute to work by bike. Since I will be facing clients I will have to comply with the given company dress code. But that's a fairly small sacrifice, because I am thankful getting back into the workforce, after several months on pogey.

My trusty Hawk will need a little TLC over the Winter, such as a safety check, a change of lubes, and a new rear tire. I would like to add a super bike handle bar and also nearer levers for more riding comfort, since my wrists get sore from hanging on those clip-on bars.

To my regret it is highly unlikely that I will be riding a lot in the first quarter of 2010, since I will be deported deployed to Manitoba on my first solo client assignment. On the plus side I will be able to save up the necessary bucks to buy a new bike some time next year.

8 comments:

  1. SonjaM:

    Glad you found work, now you can get back to living and make plans for the future. Too bad about not being able to ride to work.
    After you go to Manitoba, Alberta will feel warm

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh GREAT! I am looking forward to working in Manitoba in Winter... at least in Calgary we get the Chinook wind every once a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you won't be riding for awhile as I enjoy your "woman's point of view" about two-wheeling. I just made on a down payment on my first scooter and will start in May as we have a long winter here also. Glad you found work but too bad about Manitoba in the winter - I know that part of the country. We have friends there. Oh well, spring will come. Congratulations on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ komet: good for you that you start scootering, maybe we get lucky and spring will come a little earlier than May ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it sounds almost unbelievable but we have had heavy snowstorms here (in northern Wisconsin) as late as the middle of April because we're on the south shore of Lake Superior. It's more like an inland sea and the climate is really affected by the lake. May is still cold but I'll be out practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonja, thanks for visiting my blog....I am adding yours to my reading list and I am interested in how you overcome the obstacles to riding more often in Canada, given company dress codes, the snow...etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Charlie6: Thanks for the courtesy of adding me. You have become a role model to me for winter riding. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete