Pages

November 23, 2009

Overcoming the Fear of the Cold

Since my riding gear is very basic (no heating equipment), I rather like to stay on the plus side of the temperatures (speaking of degrees Celsius here). I kept an eye on the thermometer this morning, but it wouldn't climb, and taking the wind chill factor into account it was minus 5C at best. By noon I decide to keep close to home, to be able to return quickly if the cold became to much for me to bear.
Today my jaunt (1.5h and approx. 40km in total) takes me to Glenmore Reservoir, a manmade reservoir which is fed by the Elbow River, and Calgary's primary drinking water source, plus local recreational area.
There are bike paths, hiking trails into the Weaselhead Flats, and here is where I canoe during the ice-free season, and cross-country ski in Wintertime.
The reservoir is already freezing over, and so was my face, despite the face mask. The rest of the gear was actually doing its job pretty well, especially the AlpineStar Ridge riding boots. 
After a little stroll and some camera stops, I headed back home looking forward to a long and hot shower...

14 comments:

  1. SonjaM:

    Ladyhawk looks very nice. you just need a windshield to stop the wind chill factor. I have a heated vest but seldom use it but on the highway I often turn on my heated grips.
    Just be careful of your tire traction. Street tires lose a lot of grip at temps below 5C.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, a windshield might actually do this but would certainly spoil the beauty of my Hawk, or wouldn't it? Thanks for the valuable info on the tire traction. I wasn't aware of that. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weather is definitely more extreme than ours. Without the proper gear things change quickly. Changing a flat with numb fingers wouldn't be fun. Your plan is good going on short jaunts. Nice pictures. Ride safe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SonjaM:

    You would hardly notice a clear or tinted windshield. They are cheap, I think the one for my SV650 cost only $80. and you have no taxes in AB.
    I wouldn't worry so much about the beauty or spoil the lines of the bike. Put the windshield on in the winter, and remove it in the summer if need be.

    There are many articles on traction of summer tires in the cold weather. here is one link

    http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/safetyBelow45.dos

    winter tires are designed for cold weather. Just presume that traction on your summer tires around 5C or lower will only be around 2/3rds. Just take those corners slower, and allow for longer braking distances

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  5. bobskoot is correct about cold affecting a tire's ability to "grip". Snow tires are made of very soft rubber compounds which stay soft and thereby "grippy" even in really cold weather. Of course, they wear faster in warmer weather!

    Plus 1 on the heated grips and windshield, they make the difference along with a windproof outer layer such as rain suit perhaps.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are right, I will have to consider certain investments to make my winter riding experience safer (and warmer...)
    All that wasn't necessary back in Europe, since I never had to face these extreme cold.

    But once money is saved, I will keep you posted about my upgrades in gear, equipment or why not dare say it: maybe even a new bike with all the farkles ;-)

    Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SonjaM:

    The Vancouver international motorcycle show is usually on the last week of January. Perhaps your new bike will be there

    Also the Seattle Motorcycle show is on December 11-13th, 2009

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea! Actually I just double-checked, and there is actually a Bike Show in Calgary from 8th to 10th of January 2010. Guess where I'll be that weekend... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SonjaM:

    I'm not very good at guessing.

    I give up . . . where will you be ?

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob, if I only knew. My primary office is set up in Calgary but my supervisors didn't come clear on the whereabouts of my first deployment yet. I wish it was somewhere warm but colleagues keep hinting towards Manitoba... I will post as soon as I know something concrete...

    ReplyDelete
  11. SonjaM:

    You mean that "THEY" are going to post you all over the country for a month or two at a time ? Sort of like an assignment to do a job and when finished they return you back to Calgary ?

    Too bad they don't send you somewhere warmer, like Vancouver, or Victoria. Then you could have your bike stored here

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  12. THEY will likely do so, but hey, I signed up for it. However, THEY could have sent me somewhere warmer indeed. But choosing the location would be the privilege of staff with more seniority. Well, I might eventually get there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never used a tall windscreen so i can't comment on that... but a heated jacket has been a life saver for me. You can ride for hours in zero degrees and stay warm and toasty. I have a Gerbing but i'm sure many others are just as good. Probably one of the best $150 investments considering it can add 4 months to the riding year. What other equipment can claim that extended enjoyment?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @LumpyCam: Thanks, I will certainly consider a heated jacket for next year. Maybe Santa will get me something for X-Mas ;-)

    ReplyDelete