Say what you want about Harley Davidson, but when I started up the Sportster today after six months of hibernation, I was in for a pleasant surprise. I removed the cover, patted Rover's tank, spoke a few magic words, pushed the starter button, and the bike's engine awoke without hesitation. Brilliant!
Air pressure was low, so my first ride took me to the nearest Chevron, and then I was off into the sunset for some snapshots, when it suddenly got loud and we got covered in whirls of dust.
It was quite spectacular. I hope that whoever ended up needing a ride in this air ambulance will be fine.
Good to see Rover out...shame it is not a street triple though.
ReplyDeleteYet I wonder if a Street Triple would start up after 6 months stillstand without complaint...
DeleteHooray - I am glad that Rover is out of hibernation, think of all the riding you'll get done before you buy that Street Triple. ;-)
ReplyDeleteSorry - Roger started it. Well technically, it really is Geoff's fault.
I hope the air ambulance was just on a training mission.
It was a good first ride. And it's a sweet little bike, too.
DeleteI am afraid the helicoptor was there for real.
i love rover just the way he is :) and im not surprised at all that he started right up...
ReplyDeleteNever underestimate a Sportster, eh?
DeleteI have heard nothing but good about the 883 Sportster and it was the bike I was originally looking for. Nice shot of the air ambulance. Was it training?
ReplyDeleteRichard - My blog
The bike is really a positive surprise. Giving it all, asking for nothing.
DeleteThe helicopter was a real surprise. I didn't want to gawk, but I saw an ambulance van arriving when I left, so I guess that might have been a real emergency.
Sonja:
ReplyDeleteFuel injected bikes have less problems and starting problems are usually only battery related. I think the Striple would have started just as easily. Isn't it nice to change gears once in a while ?
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube
Maybe I will find out some day, how a Striple would behave after hibernation.
DeleteWhile on the Sporty I have to admit that I was often looking for the 6th gear...
Yay!! Rover is on the road! So...gotta ask....how different from Paolo? Quicker on the uptake?
ReplyDeleteThe scooter is pretty agile compared to the Sporty, but the Harley has certainly the louder voice ;-)
DeleteI'm not a fan of the big overpriced Harley Road Barge but I do appreciate the Sportsters and can understand your love for Rover.
ReplyDeleteThey are something, aren't they?
DeleteWelcome Rover from the land of nod! Time to throw off sleepiness and get busy being on the road. Have fun Sonja!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't mind getting busy being on the road. I just hope my job doesn't come in the way of having fun.
DeleteHooray for the end of hibernation!
ReplyDeleteFinally, it took long enough this year to end it.
DeleteSo, what were the magic words?
ReplyDeleteDid you put fuel stabilizer into Rover's tank before hibernation?
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
Please understand that if I were to repeat them here, the words would lose their power.
ReplyDeleteYep, fuel stabilizer was part of the winterization.