Pages

September 27, 2015

Familiar Grounds

23.9. I am going to give the Grand Falls a second chance, but... there is even less water than yesterday. Alright, that's it, I am moving on westwards on Trans Canada Highway for the next two hundred clicks or so.


Meanwhile I have crossed the provincial border to Quebec again. Signs are French only, not bilingual like in all the other provinces. Speed limit is 100 km/h (not 110 km/h) now, and the local highway patrol is eager to catch speeders not noticing the change.


At Rivière du Loup I leave the highway for a more relaxed riding. The name sounds familiar. This is where I had crossed the big river almost two weeks ago. And the big water over there is not the ocean, it's Saint Lawrence River.


Route 132 is a lovely road upstream, going through tiny villages, pasture land, accompanied by spectacular water and mountain (the Laurentides in the west) views.


Farmer's markets sell local produce, and while stocking up on provisions I get to talk to a nice couple out on a day trip on their Burgy 400.


Having reached Lévis I make a beeline for the highway again. I don't want to get stuck in city traffic, and I like to get on the other side of the river. Now on the other side, I follow it upstream until I get to a cute village called Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade. What a mouthful. However, I spot an auberge close to river Sainte Anne, and call it a day.


An auberge usually is a bit of a simpler accommodation with a light breakfast, and sometimes with shared bathrooms but this one is very much a B&B, and I get a room with an ensuite bathroom.


With the local grocery store being five minutes away I procure contents for my last dinner "in freedom" and (more important) one 1/2 l bottle of red wine to celebrate the last day on the road.
















This was the last long leg of the journey, and tomorrow will be my last day on the road. The homing beacon is set.


***

Und HIER wieder die deutsche Fassung.

13 comments:

  1. It's been quite a while since I was last on 132, and I had forgotten how nice a drive it is. Thanks for the reminder. Looks like you had a great day of riding Sonja. Bitter-sweet I expect as the end is now so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Dave. The bitter-sweetness of the end came the next day with a vengeance.

      Delete
  2. What does the "in freedom" refer to?

    I've been really enjoying following your trip. It's one of those areas that I would like to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "freedom" is referring to ending up somewhere without pre-planning, sitting outside, having dinner and a glas of wine while enjoying a water view. So, quite the opposite to my last day's destination (David's home), and the inevitable departure the day after.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful day on the road......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, although there was already a little chill in the air.

      Delete
  4. And of course a review of the cruiser motorcycle and it's accessories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonja, to you I raise a glass of red as well: for the adventure you've enjoyed, for a safe journey home, and for sharing your experience through pleasant narratives and marvelous photographs. Prosit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. The scenery is spectacular. I do hope you enjoyed your final night and the wine! You really have done an amazing job chronicling this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes I echo the above. Lovely scenery and congrats on a successful journey.

    ReplyDelete