Pages

September 09, 2015

Out of the City into the Wild


Sep 6: Getting up at 7am to be ready to hit the road by 9am, with the bike checked and packed and the rider fed and watered. First stop is about 10kms later at Montmorency Falls, very accessible but spectacular nonetheless. I pay the parking fee of 8$ and got the above money shot before heading to the local transportation system.


Normally I like my waterfalls in a more natural setting, however since I didn't plan on spending the day, I am all for taking the gondola up, instead of walking the area. It is early enough to be way ahead of the to be expected crowds on Labour Day, and I don't have to wait in line. My prime spot offers spectacular views on the falls. Imho this is 16 bucks well spent (if you don't have the time).


Above you pass the former summerhouse of the Duke of Kent. Picturesque in its garden setting but screaming tourist trap.


The boardwalk along the cliff leads to a suspension bridge above the roaring waters, which drop 83 meters before falling into the basin, 30 meters higher than the Niagara Falls, and the highest falls in Quebec.



In the far you may spot the suspension bridge to Ile d'Orléans. Built in 1934 as part of a job-creation project it spans 4.4km over the river.


With busloads of tourists arriving, and robbing this place of its majesty I make a beeline for the exit, but not before taking a picture of the often neglected Bridal Veil Falls at the entrance of the park. Montmorency Falls? My rating: a must do on the tourist's bucket list.


The Highway becomes quickly rural now, and the traffic relaxes. Construction however goes on, and I get my first taste of gravel. The Honda is very forgiving and doesn't miss a beat.


After a soup and sandwich break in La Malbaie (the bad bay), which is nothing to write home about, I find a spot to rest. I am still a bit under the weather and feel my concentration lacking. After half an hour of napping in the fresh air I am as good as new to continue my journey.


Just in time I arrive for the ferry to Tadoussac, where I had planned on spending the night, and chat with a Harley rider who couldn't believe that I was traveling on my own.


Something is going on in Tadoussac, where do all the people come from? At the tourist information they told me that all accommodation was booked, and no more room available. Oh well, it was still early enough, so I continued further.


At an old fashioned gas station (no credit card slot, how do I work this?) I fill 'er up with the highest available octane and ask the lady attendant for an affordable motel in the area. She recommended La Croisière in Grandes Bergeronnes, and this is where I get to spend the night. The room just got finished, and all was spick and span, and probably never used before.


After raiding the local Inter Marché I decide on a sweet and savoury dinner picknick containing fruit, dips, rice crackers and juice at the waterfront, frugal but with a million dollar view.

Photo bombing
That's what I call a romantic dinner setting

650km into this journey the Shadow has done well so far, with no major handling issues. I like the windshield much, especially for keeping the bugs from hitting me, but depending on my seating position the laminar lip gets in my way and is obstructing the view. The lip will need to be removed, and a bigger windshield for David to be installed next year. Also, the front tire seems to continue losing small amounts of air but so far it is manageable. Oh, and Betty is a very thirsty lady, almost 6l on 100km, and please do the math yourself what mileage that makes on a gallon. It's a metric bike and I speak metric, too.

***
HIER gibt's wieder die deutsche Fassung.

14 comments:

  1. Google says 39.2 mpg. That's not too bad. Maybe it's the wind resistance from the tall profile of the tail bag. Wonderful photos of the falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing the math, Richard. I also think it might be from the windshield and the tail bag.

      Delete
  2. Great waterfall photo Sonja ... I never seem to stop to look at the scenery (especially when it involves a fee!) Are you heading all the way to Bay Comeau before crossing? It's your journey of ferry rides. Nice romantic dinner with the Honda; how is it that the chrome is still shining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I am also not a big friend of paying a fee for entering nature. However, since I don't know if and when I will be able to return, I rather wanted to cross it from my list ;-)

      Meanwhile I managed to do a number on the chrome. It had rained (well it dripped), and wet roads do a number on the shiny stuff.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I won't go all the way up although I was tempted to. I will do the Fjord Loop and take the ferry from St. Simeon.

      Delete
  3. Wonder why that HD guy would not believe a woman would ride by herself? Geez....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja, the Laminar Lip is removable. The connections are velcro. Tear it off and stow it in the Viking tail bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I thought so but wasn't sure. Will do that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly an area worth visiting. I am surprised it looks as warm as it does in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure, if that's normal. But temps were in still in the mid 20s (°C that is). But I am not complaining.

      Delete
  7. Living the dream Sonja. I wish I was on the ride with you, looks like a lot of fun.
    Your bikes gas milage is still good. My R1 was using 8L per 100km. I'm liking the last picture the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great photos Sonja. Are you planning on heading up the Saguenay at all?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you are having fun and are getting away from traffic. Love that you photo bombed your own picture!!

    ReplyDelete