Pages

September 28, 2015

Homeward bound

24.9. All good things must come to an end, and so is this epic (for me) journey. It's 3°C outside and I move the Shadow into the sun to warm her up. I go to the main house, bringing my gluten free bread and cereal along and am being served tea, juice and fruit, peanut butter and jelly. Everything one needs for a good breakfast.

For the last time I do my pre-ride check, a ritual that I have gotten used to in the last three weeks: spokes, the usual suspects of nuts & bolts, luggage mounting, tire pressure, chain tightening and oil-level. I fill in the last quarter of the oil I carry along with the help of a Timmy's cup which I have kept for this purpose. She has consumed one litre on this journey, that's not bad for a lady her age and build, I guess.


For the last time I pack up, saddle up, and get going. It feels bitter-sweet today, I want to keep on riding but at the same time I hear home calling me.

Still, I want to get in some sightseeing today, and head for the hills towards Shawinigan. Riding by I spot a wooden covered bridge at Grandchamp, and turn around. Then I follow the signs to the regional park of Chutes-Monte-á-Peine-et-Des-Dalles, another mouthful, why can't you Quebecers keep it short and simple? Maybe I get to see some decent falls at this place?


Of course the little toll booth is still manned, although season's ending is near, and so, I have to pay my dues. The curious lady in the booth is quite impressed with my journey, and tells me that she does not get a lot of German visitors.


It is all gravel again until I get to the empty parking lot. Easy does it, I do not want to screw up on this last leg of my journey. Leaving my jacket and helmet behind, I walk down the trail spotting the falls in the far distance.


It will be quite the exercise, but after all these long riding days, that's a good thing. An hour later I am back in the lot, quite out of breath I have to admit, but very satisfied with the little hike and the views.

After a lunch break I continue my trip, now following the GPS which is set for "Home". Shortly before entering the city limits of Montreal I refill the bike for the last time with 91 octane (she earned it). It was fairly easy to get along without GPS during the rural areas, and find orientation by map and road signs, but negotiating Montreal rush hour is something different, and I was glad to have it.

I ride gently and defensive, no reason to be upset with others cutting in. It's similar to congestion on a German Autobahn, just with way more people possessing poor driving skills. Again, easy does it, however, I am relieved when my exit is finally coming up, and I enter the somewhat familiar home stretch. The Thunderbird is home again.


I let myself into the garage, park the bike, unpack it for the very last time and leave the rest up to David... he didn't want to disclose where the appropriate cleaning supplies are, so I have to leave her as is for him to do the chores... Sorry mate, but you asked for it, and it will be a heck of a task  ;-)


After attending to my gear, and sorting my stuff I take a long hot shower, gather the rest of my provisions and make myself dinner. I am not very hungry though, and the ride through Montreal rush hour has worn me out like no other day did. After getting comfy in the guest room I listen to some music while updating the blog until I almost fall asleep.

What an epic journey! Thanks David! I couldn't have done it without you. And thanks to hubby who suffered through my absence (or maybe not), and supported my trip all along. He got to work, while I got out to play...

***

Für die deutsche Version klick HIER.

15 comments:

  1. What a great journey Sonja - have enjoyed every minute of it, thank you. I also feel sad that the journey is over because fellow riders feel exactly the same after completing such a satisfying adventure. Travel well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geoff, for tagging along on this journey. It's part of the reward of such a trip if / when others enjoy it as well.

      Delete
  2. All except for Montreal rush hour sounds like a wonderful last day of the trip. I bet you are glad to be home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, although I am sad that this epic journey had to come to an end, I am glad to be home again with Roland.

      Delete
  3. Sorry we weren't here to celebrate the end of your tour. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, that again for offering me a home away from home. We'll sure meet again. Meanwhile you might want to "go hunting" for some fall colour pictures with the Shadow. Leaves hadn't turned much when I was traveling.

      Delete
  4. Good job. I am lazy and have become a firm believer in the value and ease of use of S100 cleaner. Spray on, hose off and bugger off. Perfect. Especially when sharing a bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a brilliant idea, Michael.

      Delete
  5. A great trip! Thanks for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. An epic journey indeed! Glad you got back to David safely.

    As to your comment: "why can't you Quebecers keep it short and simple".....I remind you of some of the German words that are quite lengthy..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Dom. But I think that the french language beats us with regards to multisyllable words.

      Delete
  7. The end of a great trip is always bittersweet. Safe travels home to Germany (and Roland, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Applause, applause! What a great trip! Thanks for letting us all follow along. I have it enjoyed it immensely. I saw this and all your other posts previously, but finally sat down in front of the computer so I could experience it all on a big screen. And comment. Thanks again. It's been awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy for taking an interest in my travels, and for your kind words. I very much appreciate it.

      Delete