I am headed towards Peggy's cove, downright the major tourist attraction in Nova Scotia. This location was first mentioned in the books 1766 as Peggy's harbour, officially founded in 1811, and it's a one hour drive to get here from Halifax.
This makes it accessible for a lot of day-tourists. They come in bus loads, via taxi or if the budget fits even in a stretch limousine to visit the iconic fishing village and the picturesque lighthouse. And the rock formations are interesting, and photogenic, too (to me they are).
The parking lot is full, but it doesn't seem too crowded today. And if one takes the time to walk a bit further, one is on its own again. I am very glad I got my hiking boots on, because I have seen people struggling and stumbling along in their flip flops and sandals.
Speaking of... the weather is gorgeous. Picture perfect with sun and blue skies. A true gossamer. I'll let the pictures do the talking. I couldn't decide which one to pick, so feel free to pick your own favourite.
Just south of Lunenburg I find Lily's Front motel & cottages where I am going to stay for the next two days.
It is a bit aged, but the room cost half of what I'd pay in the village of Lunenburg, and bonus, the unit comes with a kitchen, so I can eat in, plus I get an ocean view, and covered parking for my Shadow.
| Mahone Bay |
| Lunenburg |
However, I am going to have a healthy and tasty (home made) dinner with a view. And that makes it all worthwhile.
Today's journey:
***
Klick HIER für die deutsche Version.

Great panos and pics as usual, I liked the first pano with the lighthouse, best.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dom. The panos, I do especially for you ;-)
DeleteMore beautiful photos. The scenery sure is pretty over the water. So glad the weather turned around for you too.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, the weather couldn't have been better, even the wind calmed down.
DeleteWow, gorgeous photos! I especially like the look of the lighthouse but the water and the blue skies look fantastic. Is it still windy?
ReplyDeleteThank you, Richard. Fortunately the wind has calmed down a bit.
DeleteGlad the weather is better - especially for the visit to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg. I think I took almost the same photo as your first one the last time I was there. Did you happen to stop by the memorial for Swiss air 111? - it was quite fascinating.
ReplyDeleteKaren, I guess everybody does it from that very first spot when you get there ;-) I did stop by the Swiss Air 111 memorial but I didn't feel like taking pictures.
DeleteMahone Bay is truly charming, a place where you can imagine living happily. Peggy's Cove is amazing in terms of the scale of the rock formations and the lighthouse. Your photos convey it well.
ReplyDeleteDo find the time to visit the flight 111 memorial, it's haunting and very touching.
I'm very happy that the Shadow as adapted is performing well as a touring platform and that the weather is cooperating.
I stopped in Mahone Bay with the intention of finding an overnight stay there but the main street was construction, and so I moved on. Maybe I should have mentioned the flight memorial but I did not fee like talking about it. It is quite upsetting.
DeleteIt's been 15 years since I've been to Peggy's Cove and I can still remember the smooth rocks and post card scenery. What a phenomenal trip! One of my dreams is to ride the northern side of the Great Lakes out to the Gaspe Peninsula. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip and all the planning you put into it. Way to make it happen! Safe travels )
ReplyDeleteThanks Jason, for following along. Now that you're mentioning the Great Lakes... I'd like to surround them one day.
DeleteAwesome!
ReplyDeleteJason's 15 years now make me feel even older. I was there....longer ago than that but still remember the beauty and rocky coast. So glad the weather has mellowed for you Sonja. I'm finally able to join your trip, will go back this evening and get caught up.
ReplyDeleteHi, Coop. Thanks for this, and it's great if you take the time to catch up with my travels. You've probably seen all the things I've seen...
DeleteIt is absurdly beautiful with perfect weather, but I know its real as a Canadian friend further east has reported similar blazing weather. You have struck gold.
ReplyDeleteMichael, at least for the next two days I will luck out with the weather (says the forecast). After this it is back to rain...
DeleteAlways nice I have a kitchen, looks so nice there.
ReplyDelete