The scenery is dominated by red sand, dunes, marshes and wetlands. Beautiful! It is being said that over 300 different wildlife species can be found in the area. Sadly enough I only find a few (skunk, squirrel, racoon) with their guts decorating the pavement.
Wind and water are my elements. Even rain cannot harm me, when I am on the beach. I walk in the sand, and my former black boots change colour. I am alone. This is my beach, my sand, my ocean.
At noon I set sails for the Confederation Bridge, pay my dues (18.25$) to get off the island, briefly touch New Brunswick again, and head for Truro in Nova Scotia.
It doesn't rain hard, it is more of a spray, and the view is foggy: mist & drizzle = mizzle?. But traffic on the highway is light, and I arrive save and sound at the Holiday Inn in Truro in the afternoon, where the rain finally stops.
Quite a few shops seem out of business or closed, over there is a second-hand shop, around the corner a branch of the Salvation Army, across the road an outreach clinic for drug addicts and suicidals. A lone skateboarder with dreadlocks practices his stunts, and almost does a face plant. A bum wishes me an enthusiastic 'Good Morning' - it's 5 pm by the way - but I give him a friendly nod anyway. What a sad place this is.
The roads are pothole plastered, the sidewalks so uneven, that I almost stumble and fall. Better keep an eye on the ground. They got a McDonalds DriveThru and a Dairy Queen, and some shady looking pubs. There is nothing to see, really. A bit disillusioned about this "hub" I return to my hotel room.
On the plus side close to the Holiday Inn I find an Atlantic Superstore, and for a change I can get my groceries done in a one stop shopping orgy. Three selections of salads (quinoa, chickpea, kale), gluten free bread, vege chips (my favourite brand), juice and rice milk. I have dinner in my room, and call it a day.
***
Für die deutsche Version klick HIER.
More spectacular photography Sonja.
ReplyDeleteThis is a trip you will remember as a treasure for a long time to come.
I am sure David. And you helped fulfilling this trip.
DeleteToo bad about all the rain. PEI is beautiful but, oddly, it always reminds me of visiting my grandmother's as a young child, where the sofa was covered with plastic and you were afraid to touch anything. A little too neat perhaps?
ReplyDeleteWell, Dave. Maybe it's the German in me that finds the island so attractive.
DeleteNeat and orderly ;-)
Disappointing Hub indeed, but very nice cloud formations and pics.
ReplyDeleteOh well, there was plenty to see the day after...
DeleteSonja, many areas of the maritimes are suffering from economic woes. The young seem to move west. The fishing industry just isn't what it used to be.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is exactly how it looked like. And I haven't seen a lot of young people or young families around.
Delete