Pages

September 14, 2015

Follow the Starfish

12.9. As if the rain never happened the skies are blue and the sun is shining. I stop at the famous Campbellton roadside attraction: the big fish (the Atlantic Salmon Monument), representing the city as fisher's capital for salmon.


In Bathurst I find a Honda dealership hoping to get advice and recommendation on the exhaust issue but... motorcycle mechanics don't work saturdays. And their car mechanics were already gone for the weekend. Interesting business concept... Whatever! I pick up 1l oil, knowing that I might need it later, and continue my journey.


All I have to do ist follow the signs with the starfish, and it leads me along the shore of Acadie.


1/3 of the New Brunswick population are Acadians, meaning descendants of the early French colonists who settled in the maritime provinces. There colours show pride, and their history is marked by settling down and till the land, war and eviction and resettlement. Today it shows by way of festivals with lots of dance and song.


I love the colour scheme! Alas, the visitor center was already closed down for season. Bummer!


When I am not meandering along the shore, I follow the road through thick forest, with signs warning of moose crossing. I haven't seen live ones yet, which I am thankful for.


The scenery changes to marshlands, which remind me of Germany's North East region. And it comes with the typical salty and earthy smell.


On Miscou Island I explore the beach. The Honda gets parked safely in the dunes, and I go for a walk in the sand. No other soul to be seen for miles.


Then I am setting sails towards Miramichi where I hope to spend the night. The Econo Lodge fits my budget, and is located close to the Miramichi river. I find a Sobey's for my grocery shopping, and have dinner by the river.


I feel a bit like a hobo, sitting at the pier, on my jacket, my feet dangling in the water, and my plastic bags with suppies beside me. What a carefree life that is... a simple dinner with a water view.


Today's route:


***
Klick HIER für die deutsche Version.

10 comments:

  1. Sonja you are making me homesick. Looks like you followed the 8 and I followed the 134 from Campbellton through Dalhousie and down through Bathurst. I picked up the 8 just before Miramichi. I wanted to stop in Shediac to visit Dwight and Angel but time was not on my side (I also had to skip the trek up to Miscou Island - I had reservations on The Island!) I wish I had known you were heading to the PEI. My friend (aka husband's aunt) owns a B&B in Stratford, just across the Hillsborough bridge. I could have checked to see if she had space. You would have had a real PEI family experience. If you want someone to check out your exhaust clamp thing'ie' head to Centennial Motors on 14 Grant St, Charlottetown. (They service all bikes I'm sure - especially Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki) They are awesome. They checked out my tire in 2012 when I thought I had a leak ... had me on my way in no time. I've been there twice now for little things I just needed checked out. I wish I could have joined you on this leg of the journey. Too bad you didn't get a chance to stay in Campbellton and chat with 'my friend' Mike at the B&B. You would have loved his tales of the Acadians and the history of the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad that I didn't get to meet Mike. Honestly, I hadn't planned on visiting PEI just yet. My route had foreseen to visit St. John, NB first, then get on the ferry and head over to Nova Scotia. This detour was merely dictated by the weather. Visited Centennial Motors today, awesome service, indeed.

      Delete
    2. Where are you headed next ... ?

      Delete
    3. Not too late to visit Nova Scotia ... head to the Wood Island Ferry across to Caribou then on to Halifax and of course Peggy's Cove and ... and ... and...

      Delete
    4. just booked another night in the B&B to get some sight-seeing in.

      Delete
  2. Very much enjoyed reading your travels, nice writing and photos too. Makes me want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Don for visiting. Just do it ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ed, noted. However since visiting Centennial on PEI, the issues seem resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmn. You made me jealous. It was that mention of "typical salty and earthy smell." Motorcyclists understand just how aware the senses are when riding - smells, changes in temperature, the wind and the heat of the sun are all affected much more when riding than sitting in a metal box. Then you have to mention dangling your feet in the water when eating - that just hit my jealousy button with a thump. I want to go riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coming from you... didn't you get enough riding in this year? You really make me smile.

      Delete