Once again I head out for the Flower Pots, now officially visiting and paying the entrance fee of 9$. At 9 a.m. I am one of the first to enter, and while others wait for the shuttle transport down to the beach, I walk briskly down the trail and beat the crowds just in time to get some pictures without tourists walking around and posing in front of the rock formations.
The sun is painting the already reddish sandstone orange. I walk on the ocean floor, between the flower pots, around seaweed and through the mud.
I wonder what number the red clay will do on these people running around in sandals, pumps and sneakers. My boots don't mind the dirt, and the visitor center provides an area where you can hose down yourself, which I do with my boots as well as with my riding pants.
After climbing up back I have earned my breakfast at the restaurant adjacent to the visitor center, and bonus they offer gluten free products, and fairly good coffee. Now I am set to continue my travels.
I take the route towards Alma, where I cross part of the Fundy National Park, after this it's the road to Sussex, and a few miles of Trans-Canada-Highway. And now I say: Goodbye ocean... hello Saint John River.
Past Fredericton I enter the Scenic River Valley Route which meanders along the Saint John River. It's a quiet rural and forested setting with wide turns and gentle rolling hills following the path of the water.
There are a quite a few more wooden covered bridges to collect along the way.
One of them is the Hartland bridge, with a span of 400m the longest covered bridge of its kind in the world.
Another less spectacular one is located in Fries capital Florenceville. It smells of fried potatoes in the valley, where McCain is headquartered.
For today's overnighter I have Grand Falls in mind. Sounds interesting, I like falls. But they have built a hydroelectric power station on top, which controls the water flow. A drop of 23m, and almost no water.
I am disappointed, however the Hill Top Motel, just across the power station does not disappoint. Very clean and in good shape, and the restaurant comes with vegetarian options. Quite the contrast to the Hopewell Rocks Motel. It was a long riding day for the Shadow and myself, but stress free and calm.
***
Und HIER klicken für die deutsche Version.

Those flower pot are pretty cool. As are the covered bridges.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Richard. I feel the same but the flower pots are fairly unique for the area while the covered bridges can be found all over the place in New Brunswick and Quebec.
DeleteI thought the rock formations were pretty cool, then I saw the covered bridge pictures, even cooler. Glad your trip went so well.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, some planning, or lets say, a tentative road map, helped with gathering information about places to see. The covered bridges were actually mostly coincidental.
DeleteThe rocks (and fossils from the previous coast) would have thrilled me, too. I'm glad you re-visited for more pics. Looks like a VERY cool place to visit. And that covered bridge? Amazing! I had no idea it exists. A must-visit for me. Thanks for the future daydreams. :-)
ReplyDeleteGlad, my travels inspired you, Kathy. Thanks for tagging along.
Delete