But after entering the park I come across this mess. Again! I have no further interest in creeping along on uneven slippery surface, with potholes galore. No more! I turn around and head for Shediac.
Center of the giant lobster. Lobster Capital so to speak. This odd road side attraction has been around for 25 years now, and still attracts the crowds. You'll find it at the visitor center.
| Getting a selfie with the monster. |
At Tim's I check my emails and the weather report. On Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) is supposedly better weather than at Hopewell Rocks. So, P.E.I. or better Charlottetown it is.
P.E.I. means rolling hills and red beaches, and potatoes for some reason. Probably lobster, too.
But to get there I have to cross the Confederation Bridge. The bridge spans over 12.88km (8 miles) and can be found (somewhere) on the list of the longest bridges of the world. Or first place in Canadian terms: the world's longest bridge over ice-covered waters.
| I did it! |
I got some crosswinds but not as strong as on my Gaspé trip. Still exciting. There is no fee to travel to the island but you'll need to pay on leaving.
In the old city core of Charlottetown I discover a neat B&B, the Fitzroy Hall, one of the many heritage buildings around. I get a special deal for single travellers, and book two nights. I need a break, and the blog needs updating...
Charlottetown celebrated its 250 years anniversary last year. The Charlottetown conference was held in 1864 leading up to the Canadian confederation on July 1th 1867. I am at the birthplace of Canada, so to speak.
It's quiet downtown. A typical rural Sunday afternoon. Shops are closed, even the tourist dives. A sincere sign that season has come to its end.
As I walk along the boardwalk the sun makes a short appearance before hiding again in the clouds. It was a good riding day. And it stayed somewhat dry, with the exception of some drizzle in between.
Today's leg:
***
Und HIER die deutsche Version

I love that it's free to drive to PEI but you have to pay to leave. :)
ReplyDeleteYep, this is how they get people to stay....
DeleteKeep those great panos coming! Lovely clouds, even though they are drizzling on you at times. I liked the way you made the Shadow loom huge next to your lodgings.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dom. The clouds add the drama to the pic, alas there's wet stuff in them.
DeleteSonja - for motorcycles, it's not too pricey (18.25) to get off the Island. It's the folks who live there and have to go to Moncton for special things like cancer treatments...that's when the cost really sucks. You've only got a day on the Island; looks small on the map but it can't be done in a day (sorry.)
ReplyDeleteYou gotta see the North Cape energy institute and museum with their hiking trail ...no, wait you have to go to North Rustico and along the coast to Monticello ... oh freak, don't miss Victoria by the Sea ... back the truck up there's the Wood Island Ferry then Montague ... oh so many of my favorite spots to visit. Heck you can just chill in Charlottetown and soak in Canadian history, obviously you've already been down to the Quay if you hit the boardwalk. In the summer the streets and the city are alive with travelling theatre troups and musicians. Is it raining yet? Can't remember a motorcycle trip to the Island that I didn't have to wait at least one day for torrential rains.
That's not too bad, Karen. I would have thought that people living on PEI get a free pass, and only visitors would be charged. That doesn't sound fair...
DeleteThanks for the tips, I'll see how the weather plays along tomorrow. Depending, I might just stay a day longer. That's not enough to get everything done you suggested, but I can try ;-)
PEI makes you stay longer than planned... because despite the weather forecast I have been poured on today.
Crap, sounds like you have my Island luck. Got there this summer in the pouring rain and they said, hey - it hasn't rained in three weeks! GREAT. Glad I could help.
DeleteI most certainly do, Ed. I just wish I had more time...
ReplyDeleteYour blog is saying that your post "On Island Time" doesn't exist, so I'll just comment here, which I certainly hope isn't some sort of punishable violation of the rules. :)
ReplyDeleteSonja, from your photos, PEI really does look like a gorgeous, incredible place (yet another in this big small world), and Judy and Curtis... What a neat encounter. It's been said countless times, but bears repeating: You really do meet the nicest people when traveling by motorcycle.
You mention that you've been waiting for some sort of ride epiphany... You know, I'm a firm believer in the magic of digestion--talkin' about experiences, yo. Sure, those in-the-moment ahas no doubt occur, but often (at least for me) the real take-aways surface only after the adventure ends. It's as though the glittering stuff really starts a-sparkling only after the murk has settled.
Here's to hoping that you'll be able to take home a souvenir epiphany or two (as I raise my cup of coffee).
(I does still work with coffee, right?)
The posting "On Island Time" needed some tweaking and will be up again shortly. Ry, I firmly believe in what you're saying about the digestion, and later conclusion. Time will tell... stay tuned, and thanks for following.
DeleteAnd I just noticed that I left it in draft mode. Active now.
DeleteThree questions. Do you book your B&B's ahead, or just turn up and hope they have a room? If you just turn up, how do you find out about them - ride around until you find one? What is the reaction when a girl arrives at their door on a motorcycle?
ReplyDeleteGary,
Deleteno, I do not make reservations ahead, I would give up too much flexibility. But I use Air BnB and Tripadvisor to determine various options (hence stopping at Tim Hortons along the way for wifi). I simply show up at their doorstep, and in case of no vacancy I'd go to the next one. Has worked for me so far. However, in high season I would most certainly have booked in advance. Only once I had been turned away, but with a recommendation to the next available B&B.
Thanks for the mentioning of "a girl". You just made my day ;-)
Must people look twice if there isn't a guy standing on the curb, waiting while the woman checks the situation. Reactions were more than positive. Got kudos, lots of questions, a warm welcome, and often: a special deal.
The clouds mean rain often, but they look very dramatic in the pictures. Every cloud has a silver.....
ReplyDeleteThat's some bridge. Need a GS looking at some of that surface!
ReplyDelete