9.9. The expected but nevertheless unwanted change in weather asked for a change of clothing (gear I mean). Rain gear is my least favourite set of motorcycle outfit. However, I am glad, I have it on board. The wet stuff isn't actually too bad, the crosswinds are much worse, and require highest concentration. Sometimes, when maneuvering the Honda around I am thinking, darn, this bike is a fat duck, I wish I was on a Vespa. Today, honest to the PTB I am glad that the Shadow is as chuff as it is. Because that Thunderbird is cruising like a champ, all wind gusts withstanding.
Taking a break from the rain in Rimouski at Poine au Père where the rest area provides a picnic table with a roof, I pull out my lunch and enjoy not getting wet for a change.
Another storm front is heading my way. The wind picks up again, and fat rain drops are hitting the roof. Better wait it out, or not because there is no change in weather forecasted.
In this mess there is not much to see or do, hence I decide to call it a day it Sainte-Anne-Des-Monts. The motel Beau Rivage is reasonably priced and clean and overlooks the bay of the village.
While unloading the bike I discover a lose thingy behind the exhaust, which likely caused the occasional rattling noise I overheard while riding.
It came completely off, and both nuts to keep the whatchamacallit in place where missing. Thanks to my recent French lessons I have the vocabulary at hand to explain the issue to the nice young man next door (a plumber by trade). He pulls the support somewhat in place, and it gets secured with wire. Then he refers me to nearest repair shop. I follow his directions, and there it is. Three blocks down the road I find a branch of Napa Autopro. The friendly mechanic takes care of it instantly. He needs less than a minute to assess the problem. He finds the right fitting nuts, and screws them on properly. Five minutes later I leave the shop with an extra pair of nuts which will from now on travel in the tool kit.
With the issue resolved I am free to go for a walk into town. It's about half a mile down the bay, and I am glad for the exercise. Meanwhile the weather has cleared up a bit, at least it's not raining anymore.
The town doesn't have much of an infrastructure, however, like in any other town in the area there is a fairly big church.
As a special treat I finally get to spot the sun, while she's setting. Hello again. Where have you been? Good to see you.
Besides the exhaust support coming lose, the Shadow has performed extremely well under these weather and road conditions. I am very proud of it (still keeping an eye on the air pressure on the front tire though).
Notes on luggage: I didn't bother using the rain cover on the sissybar luggage, as my clothing is packed in the waterproof Ortlieb backpack. However, although it had rained hard, the bag was holding tight. Humidy got inside, yes, but it wasn't dripping wet. Meanwhile the roll bag continues to be of good service for my grocery shopping. And by far the best piece of luggage so far are the saddle bags. They are perfectly shut and dry.

Unbelievably great weather shots Sonja - well done! Kudos for braving the weather. We all want nice weather but there's something completely satisfying about riding in rain and wind too. You're the complete biker...... or would be if you owned a Triumph :-P .
ReplyDeleteLoved your technical description of the cause of the rattle - a clear sign that Roland wasn't there or there would have been detention after class :-).
Travel well my friend - very much looking forward to more adventures!
Thanks Geoff. Not sure if the Triumph would have mastered the crosswinds as easily though. It is a fair bit lighter than the Shadow.
DeleteI like the open look of that "light house" in the second photo. And, they must be anticipating a lot more rain in the third photo with the sub in the background. Was there a story associated with it?
ReplyDeleteNice telephoto shot of the sun!
Richard, the submarine became a museum, after it got discharged.
Deletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Onondaga_(S73)
Beautiful photos!!
ReplyDeleteHmmm... the elephant in the room is the submarine in the picture ;)
As for the exhaust bracket, I wonder who installed it... Oh oh... that was me.
That was clearly shoddy work. Thank heavens it was an easy fix.
David, the story isn't over yet. The vibrations caused the inlet pipes to loosen as well. Might have to see a Honda dealer at one point.
DeleteBummer about the rain but it made for great photos. And the sunset was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIf the weather forecast is right (and it always is when it is supposed to rain) I have a load of wet stuff coming in the next two days...
DeleteReally nice cloud shots and panos. As to the "thingie", looks like an exhaust shield? It wasn't holding the exhaust pipe in place was it?
ReplyDeleteDom, it was indeed the bracket that holds the exhaust in place. Alas the vibration of the lose exhaust has now caused a few more issues...
DeleteI bet you can fix the loosened clamps
DeleteBut that requires the tools not included in the packing list. Plus, I suspect that they could be difficult to reach. Onward to a Honda shop
DeleteDavid made me bring along the tool kit however, it didn't have the right fit for the angle of the bolts. Otherwise I might have been able to fix the problem myself. But the mechanics were quite the gentlemen, and did likely the better job.
DeleteWhat a cute motel! What would we do without the kindness of strangers helping to keep our rides ready to motor on...
ReplyDeleteI certainly would not come far without the kindness of strangers but whenever and wherever I meet good people.
DeleteSonja - don't like the weather in the maritimes ... wait 15 minutes and it will change. One advantage of doing a chrome wipe down each night or morning (aside from vanity), you find those loose things before the nuts and bolts fall off.
ReplyDeleteKaren, I have meanwhile added the nuts and bolts checking into my daily routine.
DeleteRain, waterproof gear, bike problems, crosswinds, keeping your stuff dry - all makes you a proper biker! Great stuff Sonja.
ReplyDeleteNot sure about this bit though.... "Five minutes later I leave the shop with an extra pair of nuts". LOL.
LOL. The double entendre was really unintended, scout's honour. But, well you know, as a woman traveling alone you never know when you might be in need of an extra pair of nuts.
Delete